PDA

View Full Version : Drive errors when trying to reinstall Ubuntu Studio

mrkay2
April 12th, 2020, 09:34 PM
Good afternoon,

I have a laptop with a 1TB drive divided into an Ubuntu 18.04 partition and an UbuntuStudio partition (~100GB) I attempted to do a clean install of UbuntuStudio 20.04 and it failed and borked GRUB in the process. I have been able to restore GRUB. I performed an fsck on the drive, it found a corrected a few errors. I then reformatted the partition that I use for Studio and attempted another install it has failed again and indicated a problem with the CD/DVD media. I am using a USB and did the sha-256 checksum on the file.

Next I downloaded 19.10 knowing that 20.04 is still in not officially released and wondered if there may be a bug causing the problem I am having. This install also fails. I wiped the drive went back to install 20.04 and saved the contents of /var/log if any of that would assist in finding the problem.

In reading the forums I noted some who had similar problems and their HDD/SSDs were failing. According to smartctl -a /mydrive "SMART oreall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED"

I can post any of the logs or results of other pertinent test.

Thank you for your assistance.
M@

TheFu
April 14th, 2020, 05:35 PM
Post the SMART test results as text, please. Use code tags so everything lines up in these forums.

Usually a few partitions are required to install Linux on a modern computer. An EFi partition, perhaps a /boot/ partition, perhaps a swap partition, the / and /home and perhaps /var would be handy. We really need to see facts to help. There's a boot-info script which can provide the facts we need. it will post comprehensive data to an anonymous pastebin location so you can simply provide the URL back here.