PDA

View Full Version : Odd Things I Catch Myself Doing

arsenic23
August 26th, 2006, 02:44 AM
Let me preface: Through High School and then most of College I lived with my parents ( or at least I kept my PCs in their home, I slept wherever I was came nightfall ). Over the years my desk became quite a cluster, and when I finally moved out I took only my laptop and my newest machine. I shared the hard drives on my windows machinces and mounted them all on my Ubuntu Server. Then every PC in the house got a VNC server installed into it so I could maintain it all visually from my new location several hundred miles away. VNC was later replaced with ssh on the linux machinces as I grew more familiar with linux, but anway, it saves me on my power bill and the family gets free maintance on their box.

I share my internet with a room mate, so I don't like to torrent things because he's a bit of an MMO.... addict, and I don't want to lag him. So I torrent things remotely back at my parrents house, throw them onto a read only ftp server, and wget them to where I am now.

( Sorry that was a little too windy for a preface. )

ANYWAY, I'm in visiting my folks for the weekend and I got some free time so I thought I'd sit down and straighten up the 80 some odd gigs of sprawl in my torrent folder... I quickly found that managing so much of so many files in Windows was like pulling teeth now. So I threw putty on this machine and started going through the files from the server at my feet. (Mostly, I was deleting stuff.) It then it dawned on me just how funny that was.

( After rereading this I've realized it's not really as amusing as I was thinking it is... Well I typed it all, so I might as well hit the post button. Sorry if you've read down this far. And, of course, I'm interested in the odd things other recent linux converts have caught themselves doing. )

teet
August 26th, 2006, 06:23 AM
I constantly find myself hitting Alt + F2 while in windows. The windows command prompt gets me every time too...I always type 'ls'.

-teet

PryGuy
August 26th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Same thing. ls is all the way. :D That's why I think that the new M$ command shell that supports both ******* and *nix syntax is a very wise move.

Ptero-4
August 26th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I often (at my job $PC's) find myself trying to click at the top of the screen to get to my Applications menu just to realize that I'm not in ubuntu.

der_joachim
August 26th, 2006, 08:31 AM
I can name a few. I have two Kubuntu boxes, my laptop at work, and my PC at home. My PC has s secondary XP boot for the occasional game I play (mostly Guild Wars ATM).

- I have a very old el cheapo keyboard at home, while at work I have a slightly more expensive Logitech with a few multimedia buttons. I always try to use the (non-existent) multimedia keys at home.
- When in XP, I always try to pull down a terminal by hitting F12. I really like Yakuake. :)
- When in any other text editor, I tend to use Vi commands. I am a programmer, and although I have surely tried, I have not kicked my vim habit. Which is irritating, since my colleagues use other text editors.
- When in an XP command shell, I always try to grep my way around. I tried installing the GNU text utilities once, but the grep version in that one really misbehaved. I never bothered using it again.

nalmeth
August 26th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Thats a cool story..

#1 thing I find myself doing in Windows is the highlight-copy middleclick-paste. Can't let it go

peabody
August 26th, 2006, 11:34 AM
The one thing that always gets me in windows is that you can't click the mouse wheel as a paste shortcut. I may just research a way to implement that myself, it gets to me so much.

Edit: Ha! I didn't even read Nalmath's post!

chickengirl
August 26th, 2006, 11:46 AM
I also keep trying to do the middleclick paste thing in Windows. :p

%hMa@?b<C
August 26th, 2006, 12:44 PM
at school where there are only Windows boxes, I always press crtl+alt+backspace when those suckers lock up.

djsroknrol
August 26th, 2006, 03:14 PM
at school where there are only Windows boxes, I always press crtl+alt+backspace when those suckers lock up.

Same thing with me...I can't talk about the rest of the things I catch myself doing...:shock:

GameManK
August 26th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Typing ls and ifconfig in windows.

Also, I use opera, and I constantly try to use mouse gestures (mostly the one to go back) in konqueror and firefox. It results in a right click so I end up just clicking back in the context menu.
Another side effect of using opera is that I try to double click on the url in firefox to select it and end up selecting just one word because you're supposed to single click. That's actually pretty frustrating.

chickengirl
August 27th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Also, I use opera, and I constantly try to use mouse gestures (mostly the one to go back) in konqueror and firefox. It results in a right click so I end up just clicking back in the context menu.

You can install a mouse gestures extension for Firefox.

Another side effect of using opera is that I try to double click on the url in firefox to select it and end up selecting just one word because you're supposed to single click. That's actually pretty frustrating.

The default behavior for the Linux build of Firefox (that is, the one that comes from Mozilla) is the same as Opera's. The Ubuntu devs must have changed it for their build to make people migrating from Windows more comfortable.

Go to about:config (type it in the address bar) and type browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll in the filter box and that preference will come up. Double click it to toggle it to false.

engla
August 27th, 2006, 04:46 PM
When I'm back in OSX (well this is my analogy) I always try to neatly line up the windows to the screen border, but there is no edge resistance.

And I always use vertical maximize on terminals and documents, but not available.

To put this on its head, some things in ubuntu are strange...
ctrl-w and ctrl-q do not always work.
ctrl-c doesn't always work in all windows (not gnome-terminal, but things like gaim info boxes)

picpak
August 27th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I always try the highlight-middle click thing.

I also get mixed up between "Yes" and "No".

wordsmythe
August 28th, 2006, 08:39 PM
THis might be more like Engla (and the ctrl+w and some tab commands not always working are a pain!), but I find myself at the console typing
dir/wand
dir/p sometimes...:rolleyes:

transactionlogfiller
August 28th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I once created a file on a Windows PC called ls.bat that just contained the command "dir".

Phantom784
August 29th, 2006, 02:40 AM
I, like most everyone else, use linux commands in the windows prompt by mistake. When I first switched, I used dir in linux all the time, but I quickly switched to ls.

Sometimes I boot the school computers into Knoppix just because I'm sick of using Windows.

that's about it I guess.

rko618
August 29th, 2006, 02:50 AM
holly crap I didn't even know about the middle click = paste thing until I read this thread. Sweet.

GameManK
August 31st, 2006, 10:33 PM
You can install a mouse gestures extension for Firefox.

The default behavior for the Linux build of Firefox (that is, the one that comes from Mozilla) is the same as Opera's. The Ubuntu devs must have changed it for their build to make people migrating from Windows more comfortable.

Go to about:config (type it in the address bar) and type browser.urlbar.clickSelectsAll in the filter box and that preference will come up. Double click it to toggle it to false.

I only really ever use firefox on other people's windows pc's.

GameManK
August 31st, 2006, 10:34 PM
ctrl-c doesn't always work in all windows (not gnome-terminal, but things like gaim info boxes)
That annoys me a little too, but you can't have ctrl-c copy in a terminal because it's used to terminate programs.

%hMa@?b<C
August 31st, 2006, 10:46 PM
I, like most everyone else, use linux commands in the windows prompt by mistake. When I first switched, I used dir in linux all the time, but I quickly switched to ls.

Sometimes I boot the school computers into Knoppix just because I'm sick of using Windows.

that's about it I guess.

your school doesnt care!?!?!?! I got in serious trouble for booting DSL on a couple of school boxes.

user1397
August 31st, 2006, 10:47 PM
i find myself typing this at a windows command prompt:
WARNING! DO NOT USE THIS COMMAND IN LINUX!

sudo rm -rf /:rolleyes:

%hMa@?b<C
September 1st, 2006, 01:35 AM
i find myself typing this at a windows command prompt:
WARNING! DO NOT USE THIS COMMAND IN LINUX!

sudo rm -rf /:rolleyes:
often I type

DELTREE C:\
...i wish

grizzly
September 4th, 2006, 05:04 PM
middle click
For me its sounds like someone is missing batch in Linux.

I can offer a solution. But I am not sure if I should, coz the features provided along with the solution app are very very addictive. and faaar more useful and awesome than anything there is on linux :(

Solutions: WARNING!!!!!!!!!! - THESE ARE VERY ADDICTIVE APPS , ONCE YOU START USING THEM, EVERYTHING IN LINUX GUI WOULD SUCK .. HARD. middleclick to paste would look like a very rude joke.

The apps are: powerpro, strokeit.

Alt+f2

Find and runrobot does a nice job. A bit slower on my machine, but one does not have to look for app.exe. It