PDA

View Full Version : New System76 Laptop Ordered

spswitzer
March 31st, 2020, 06:53 PM
Well I finally took the plunge and ordered the Galago Pro 14" Laptop from System76. I've been trolling their web site for about 6 months now and I decided to go for it. I must have read tons of reviews on it and for the most part they are really good. Here's the basic specs:

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (64-bit) Installed

4.2 GHz i5-10210U (1.6 up to 4.2 GHz - 6 MB Cache - 4 Cores - 8 Threads

8 GB Single Channel DDR4 at 2666 MHz (1x8GB)

250 GB NVMe Seq Read: 3,500 MB/s, Seq Write: 2,300 MB/s

mastablasta
April 1st, 2020, 07:52 AM
how much for that?

Ryzen 5 3600 at these specs costs about 460 EUR with 512 GB SSD drive and 8 GB ram. one can add more ram (up to 16GB) and there is room inside for a HDD or another SSD. it's an HP machine and looks like ubuntu works well on it from what i found on internet.

spswitzer
April 1st, 2020, 10:07 AM
how much for that?

Ryzen 5 3600 at these specs costs about 460 EUR with 512 GB SSD drive and 8 GB ram. one can add more ram (up to 16GB) and there is room inside for a HDD or another SSD. it's an HP machine and looks like ubuntu works well on it from what i found on internet.

It was $1,100 US. It's user upgrade-able and repairable as well. It's one of the reasons I purchased also It's built to run Linux. System76 only builds Linux Computers and they ship with either Ubuntu 18.4 LTS or their own Pop_OS 19.

sdsurfer
April 1st, 2020, 03:38 PM
I have a Gazelle as a personal laptop purchased around two yeas ago and recently had my company purchase a Gazelle for my WFH workstation. I love them! You will love opening the box, the packaging itself is unique and very cool. :-D

The hardware is made in China but they are assembled and configured in Colorado, their support is stellar and free during the warranty period. They are even responsive during the post-warranty period. That, really, is what you are paying for. I had both of mine configured with Ubuntu.

I will say though, with the most recent purchase, "out of the box" it had some issues. I believe they pre-install the system, fire it up, if it boots all good - they don't chase down some finer system configs, probably because they are unaware of them. Support was very responsive but unfortunately didn't have a magic bullet, I wound up solving the issues on my own.

First is I was getting intermittent complete and total system freezes, the system would hang completely and had to issue the REISUB (BUSIER spelled backwards)
http://blog.kember.net/articles/reisub-the-gentle-linux-restart/

My first go-to on odd systems issues is graphics and drivers, but I skipped over it because I **presumed** it was properly configured with the Nvidia hardware installed in the lappie. Turns out it wasn't, it was using the Noveau driver, once I got that resolved have had no issues. The process by which I figured that out is detailed in this reply:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2437949#post_message_13936471

Second was the PrtSc didn't work - solved here
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2437674

Both of these were just system tweaks, once resolved the lappie screams and I love it! Next up is to replace by old desktop witha THELIO! :-D

spswitzer
April 1st, 2020, 05:09 PM
I have a Gazelle as a personal laptop purchased around two yeas ago and recently had my company purchase a Gazelle for my WFH workstation. I love them! You will love opening the box, the packaging itself is unique and very cool. :-D

The hardware is made in China but they are assembled and configured in Colorado, their support is stellar and free during the warranty period. They are even responsive during the post-warranty period. That, really, is what you are paying for. I had both of mine configured with Ubuntu.

I will say though, with the most recent purchase, "out of the box" it had some issues. I believe they pre-install the system, fire it up, if it boots all good - they don't chase down some finer system configs, probably because they are unaware of them. Support was very responsive but unfortunately didn't have a magic bullet, I wound up solving the issues on my own.

First is I was getting intermittent complete and total system freezes, the system would hang completely and had to issue the REISUB (BUSIER spelled backwards)
http://blog.kember.net/articles/reisub-the-gentle-linux-restart/

My first go-to on odd systems issues is graphics and drivers, but I skipped over it because I **presumed** it was properly configured with the Nvidia hardware installed in the lappie. Turns out it wasn't, it was using the Noveau driver, once I got that resolved have had no issues. The process by which I figured that out is detailed in this reply:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2437949#post_message_13936471

Second was the PrtSc didn't work - solved here
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2437674

Both of these were just system tweaks, once resolved the lappie screams and I love it! Next up is to replace by old desktop witha THELIO! :-D

I'm really looking forward to the unboxing as well :) Sadly this Corona virus may disrupt UPS delivery but I'm pretty patient as I have Ubuntu 19.10 dual booting on my old MacBook Pro, and single booting on my old MacMini. Keeping my fingers crossed though. I've been going through their support site, being on the lookout for possible issues. I steer clear of computers with Nvidia graphics they always seem to have driver issues, but then if you know how to fix them then there is no real issue. I'll check out the links you've provided and keep in mind the issues you had. Thanks for the reply and the advice. - Stephanie

mastablasta
April 2nd, 2020, 07:21 AM
It was $1,100 US. It's user upgrade-able and repairable as well. It's one of the reasons I purchased also It's built to run Linux. System76 only builds Linux Computers and they ship with either Ubuntu 18.4 LTS or their own Pop_OS 19.

They do have awesome things. i saw it before. Just too far away from me. :)
The reviews say hardware is good as well. i mean the build. i think it is important not to create unnecessary waste. unfortunately my new boss disagrees as they keep piling cheap wasteful products into the market. :/

spswitzer
April 2nd, 2020, 11:25 AM
I did spend more money than I intended, but after looking at other Linux Laptops and those laptops recommended to run Linux the System76 was the one I could afford.

sdsurfer
April 2nd, 2020, 02:47 PM
It's too late now, but the final nail for my personal purchase was the only company that offered financing. Doubled up on the payments, it was mine in 4 months or so.

spswitzer
April 2nd, 2020, 04:55 PM
The only other company that I know of that offers financing is Apple

MoebusNet
April 2nd, 2020, 06:35 PM
Best of luck with your Galago Pro notebook. I think you'll enjoy your purchase. I know I am still enjoying my 2011 Serval Pro 7; even today, it is equal to most new machines for my purposes. I upgraded my RAM to 32Gb and am preparing to upgrade to an 802.11ac wireless card; other than that it is still factory-stock and rock solid.

spswitzer
April 2nd, 2020, 07:36 PM
Best of luck with your Galago Pro notebook. I think you'll enjoy your purchase. I know I am still enjoying my 2011 Serval Pro 7; even today, it is equal to most new machines for my purposes. I upgraded my RAM to 32Gb and am preparing to upgrade to an 802.11ac wireless card; other than that it is still factory-stock and rock solid.

I looking forward to un-boxing it when it gets delivered here. Hopefully it won't be delayed for too long.