PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Bootloader messed up when tried installing a second ubuntu

mot-tudor
March 26th, 2020, 12:05 AM
Hello Ubuntu Forums,

Probably the report in the link below explains the situation much better than I could, but I tried adding a second ubuntu(ubuntu LTS 18)on my system, which already contained kubuntu 19 and windows 10. I tried resizing my kubuntu (logical volume? ) in order to add another partition for the new ubuntu, I tried doing this from an USB boot containing the ubuntu 18 message. After a few failed gparted commands together with lvremove & co, tried booting back to kubuntu 19, but could not get past bash console. Perhaps worth noting that I originally installed kubuntu 19 and created this logical volume scheme (bad idea), afterwards managed to resize the kubuntu partition and install windows10. After installing windows, I remember having to run a command from windows in order to recover my grub bootloader. Hope I provided enough information.

Log generated by boot-repair, when ran from the ubuntu18 USB:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/2fvFWc5D7j/

Could you please help me save my system :? Also, If you could provide me with some instructions to resize the kubuntu partition so I could install the second ubuntu distribution, I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you very much!

Tudor

mot-tudor
April 2nd, 2020, 08:45 PM
thanks for all the help community!

oldfred
April 2nd, 2020, 09:48 PM
I do not know LVM, and Boot-Repair does not show all the details on NVMe drives.

But did you try to install into another volume inside your existing LVM or to a separate partition?
LVM is best when it uses the entire drive and then gives you lots of flexibility.
But trying to use it as a partition makes it more difficult.