PDA

View Full Version : Strange artifacts on some screens...see attachment

Rocky1937
March 24th, 2020, 05:39 PM
OK...Got the image now What is happening is that font letters are showing up in small rectangular boxes that have been quartered with numbers or letters. I'll keep trying to post an image. Other than this glitch the upgrade was flawless. I have never experienced this before. Any suggestions?

deadflowr
March 24th, 2020, 05:51 PM
You need to go to Adv Reply to open the advanced editor, then click on the now visible paperclip icon to properly attach images.
Or go to Edit Post then select the Go Advanced, and the same as above.

Rocky1937
March 24th, 2020, 06:07 PM
Thanks.. I'll work on that.

Rocky1937
March 24th, 2020, 06:23 PM
Thanks...That worked great

Impavidus
March 24th, 2020, 07:29 PM
It means that the font you see there doesn't support the characters it has to show. The image has been scaled down by the forum software because it was too big, so I can't make out the numbers and letters it shows, but those numbers and letters indicate the Unicode code points (in hexadecimal) that the application tries to show. You can look them up here (https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Unicode/Character_reference/0000-0FFF) and see if it makes sense. Maybe your system tries to use a language for which it has no fonts. Is the language wrong or are the fonts wrong?

Rocky1937
March 24th, 2020, 09:01 PM
I agree with what you are saying, but I have never used anything but English on my system and my font of choice has always been Nimbus Sans L. I agree it is a font issue, or I at least think it is but I have no idea where or how it has popped up from. The background image of my attachment is from my Boinc software and the entire screen presents as total garbage. Other than that software...everything else presents normally. The image I attached shows other instances of this anomaly...almost always have to do with headers and/or button choices. I prefer dark backgrounds and I'm thinking that is part of the issue.

Rocky1937
March 24th, 2020, 09:10 PM
i would say the fonts are wrong