PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Removing Windows Network from Thunar file manager

cyb3rtux
March 21st, 2020, 12:59 PM
Hi!

Because newer windows operating systems no longer use NetBios/smb1 protocol, I want to remove "Windows Network" shortcut from network browsing panel in Thunar file browser.
Is there an way to do that?

him610
March 22nd, 2020, 02:01 AM
Because newer windows operating systems no longer use NetBios/smb1 protocol...
I was not aware of that.
What network protocol does Windows use now for LANs?

Morbius1
March 22nd, 2020, 12:42 PM
I want to remove "Windows Network" shortcut from network browsing panel in Thunar file browser.
Is there an way to do that?
I don't think so. You can remove Browse Network from the side panel but that would disable any visible SSH , FTP, SMB, Samba, etc.. multicast registered hosts on your network as well.

What network protocol does Windows use now for LANs?
It uses the same protocol just a different dialect ( smb2 ... smb3 ). Win10 disables the smb1 dialect from both client and server but NetBIOS is dependent on smb1 so host discovery and name resolution using that is disabled. Besides it now uses WS-Discovery for host discovery.

Windows 10 does speak mDNS however so you can access a WIn10 server from Linux using it smb://win10-host-name.local and Win10 can access a Linux server that way \\linux-host-name.local. What Win10 cannot do is register or "broadcast" its mDNS presence the way Linux and MacOS can do by default so you have to access it explicitly.

cyb3rtux
March 22nd, 2020, 03:28 PM
Newer Windows uses WSD protocol for network neighborhood discovery. Windows clients can discover perfectly the samba server by installing wsdd daemon on the server.

I dont want to remove the entire Browse Network side panel from left side in thunar, only the pre-installed "windows network" shortcut within the Browse Network side panel, because it is unused. I think it is for automount with old Netbios/smb1 protocol, not for WSD or Zeroconf/Avahi protocol.

I think my probelem is about gvfs or fuse, because the situation is the same in Ubuntu and Nautilus.

Altough, if I install the Nautilus on my Xubuntu, the "Windows Network" shortcut does not appear within browse network side panel...