PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] USB install gave me processor errors?

PsychedelicWonders
February 19th, 2020, 06:03 PM
So I was trying to re-install Ubuntu on a SSD that has Ubuntu 16.4 on, but it's been a while & I forgot my user password so I can't seem to do a normal upgrade from within the operating system.

So I was going to re-install it via a USB, but I seem to be getting some errors related to something about a Unique Processor

Here are some screenshots of the bootup sequence:

Any idea what's wrong? Is the .iso install bad on the USB?

PsychedelicWonders
February 22nd, 2020, 09:21 PM
Anyone have an idea? I tried it with two different usb sticks and using the rufus installer and still getting the same errors.

Thanks!

mörgæs
February 22nd, 2020, 09:34 PM
An error report mentioning mce (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine-check_exception) is a bad sign.

The page offers some advice, and besides that I suggest googling 'mce' + your computer name.

PsychedelicWonders
March 3rd, 2020, 04:44 AM
I have an Intel 5820x and I built it myself on an Asrock motherboard.

It seems one of the reasons this happens is a clogged heatsink and mine is filthy. I'm going to try and give everything a good clean and add some new thermal paste.

Windows seems to work fine? It has been loading slow lately, sometimes up to a couple of minutes for an SSD, which I know isn't right.

But if Windows is booting fine, why would the Ubuntu install fail like this?

Skaperen
March 3rd, 2020, 06:54 AM
do not add new paste over old paste. clean both the processor and heat sink down to bare metal then apply new paste exactly as instructed by the paste instructions.

PsychedelicWonders
March 3rd, 2020, 07:55 AM
Oh yeah I'm pretty strict about removing all of the old paste completely before any new paste is put down.

But thanks for the tip!