PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have advice on how to use ESD wristbands?

raphaell2
February 9th, 2020, 12:53 PM
Ok, I hope this is the right forum for this kind of question - the forum called "Hardware" seems to be all about getting Ubuntu to work with all kinds of hardware, which is not what my question is about.

Anyway, I'm thinking about manually changing something on the inside of my computer. I've either done that never before in my life, or not in a very long time - my memory is a bit vague on that point. In my preparations, I came across various websites recommending the use of esd wristbands. So, some questions:

Most importantly, all the websites I have seen dealing with that topic talk about using a wristband, in the singular. Now, when I do complex technical tasks manually, I usually use both of my hands. So, shouldn't I use two wristbands? Then again, if I remember my basic physics correctly, having two grounding cables connected to my body might accidentally create an electric circuit, which would probably be bad. So, how do I solve this conundrum?

Second, if I should decide to buy one or two esd wristbands, are there any important things I should pay attention to when choosing a specific product?

Thank you in advance!

CatKiller
February 9th, 2020, 01:28 PM
You only need one electrical connection from yourself to earth.

Charge can build up from things like humidity and walking on carpets; having a connection to earth means that the charge can dissipate rather than sparking into your delicate and expensive electrical components.

You wouldn't feel or see ESD, and it wouldn't leave a visible mark, your component would just be damaged.

Personally, I've never bothered with a wristband for my own stuff. I'll touch a metal radiator before I start, if I remember, to dissipate any charge. People with nylon carpets who work with charged components all the time would find them more useful.

raphaell2
February 9th, 2020, 05:50 PM
Thank you!

CatKiller
February 9th, 2020, 07:37 PM
For the other part - being hazy on whether you've done it before and potentially being a bit nervous - the inside of a computer case is pretty straightforward. Things just go into slots, or sockets, or onto header pins. Some parts are fairly fiddly; bigger cases are generally easier to work in than smaller cases, and cheaper cases tend to have sharp edges that expensive ones don't.

It's useful to have a bright torch and a magnetic-tipped screwdriver; it's quite easy to drop a small screw inside, and they'll inevitably short out something important if left in there.

Just take your time and take a break if it's getting a bit much.

The Cog
February 9th, 2020, 07:42 PM
In theory you should wear an earthed wristband (one will do, you don't build static voltages across your body so one earthing will earth your entire body). But you should also keep yoru equipment on an earthed conductive mat. Earthing yourself if the kit is not earthed still allows for a static voltage difference between you and the un-earthed computer. Zap! If you don't have an earthed esd mat as well, then connect your strap to the computer chassis.

At home, I just always made sure I was in contact with the computer casing (leaning one bare arm on the metal case) before and while handling the innards. This makes sure there is no static voltage difference between me and the kit.

mörgæs
February 9th, 2020, 08:50 PM
Working in bare feet might look weird but is gives a fine connection to ground. I have never bothered with a wristband.

raphaell2
February 10th, 2020, 04:17 PM
Thank you!

pushbike06
February 11th, 2020, 12:26 AM
Make sure that the equipment(computer) is completely disconnected from the mains supply, not just switched off. Else, Have you updated your will?
A good earth point is the "town water" supply if it is supplied via copper/metal pipes.
Connect a length of 4mm earth cable (building wire) via an earth clip to the nearest point on the water service (not after a water heater), you may have to go under your house. Terminate the other end at a terminal block on your work bench. Connect your wrist strap to the terminal block.
Relying on an "earth" from other equipment, metal surrounds etc of toasters heaters etc could be prejudicial to your health.

raphaell2
February 15th, 2020, 03:25 PM
In case anyone's wondering, the "surgery" on my PC - a RAM upgrade - went well, after some initial hiccups.

CatKiller
February 15th, 2020, 08:34 PM
It is nice to know how things worked out. Thanks for letting us know. Glad it all worked out OK.

him610
February 16th, 2020, 03:37 AM
Static electricity is real! Static electricity discharges happen! People who handle sensitive explosive devices, or other extremely fast burning devices (think rocket motors) are well are aware of this. Accidents still happen sometimes.
Manufacturers recommend proper grounding of sensitive electronics to prevent equipment damage and minimize risk.