PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade 16.04 LTS to 18.04 LTS

SciFiFan
February 5th, 2020, 03:34 PM
Hello,
Planning on upgrading 16.01 LTS to 18.04 LTS keeping the Unity desktop using the instructions from Ubuntu Buzz (http://www.ubuntubuzz.com/2018/04/how-to-upgrade-ubuntu-from-1604-lts-to-1804-lts-using-command-lines.html).
This is a desktop computer with a SSD as the main drive. When installing the SSD on a new computer in 2016, I optimized the Ubuntu settings for the SSD. Will the 18.04 LTS upgrade interfere with these optimized settings? Any other problems I may encounter?

Thank you for your help!

CelticWarrior
February 5th, 2020, 04:55 PM
No, the release upgrade won't interfere with the optimizations but also not optimizations were or are required for SSDs. There are still lots of misinformation or no longer relevant information floating around the web regarding SSDs but that it's mostly clickbait. The truth is there' s no difference.

SciFiFan
February 5th, 2020, 05:08 PM
Thank you for the reply, CelticWarrior.
While the optimizations may not be required today, they were 4 years ago with the new computer. It has worked flawlessly since.

CelticWarrior
February 5th, 2020, 05:33 PM
They weren't but it doesn't matter as long as you're happy with it.

rsteinmetz70112
February 5th, 2020, 06:41 PM
While the instructions you referenced will work. I think the preferred command is "apt" and with "apt" "dist-upgrade" would be "full-upgrade" but it really makes no difference for now.

If during the update/upgrade of 16.04 do not proceed until any issues are resolved.. To be sure I never start the release-upgrade until I run through the update/upgrade twice, just to be sure.

Depending on your install you may be prompted for input during the do-release-upgrade.

SciFiFan
February 5th, 2020, 06:52 PM
Ok,
Tried to do the upgrade and froze on:

Lock screen disabled

Your lock screen has been disabled and will remain disabled until you
reboot.

To continue please press [ENTER]
Inhibiting until Ctrl+C is pressed...
^C

Enter does nothing nor does CTRL+C in any combination.
What to try next?

SciFiFan
February 6th, 2020, 12:01 AM
Had to stop for today as rainstorms approaching and don't want to upgrade with the possibility of loss of power. Will continue next clear day.
Thank you for the help.