PDA

View Full Version : where can I go to pay for answers?

ChrisC
August 25th, 2006, 01:29 PM
I'm posting in this forum because I suspect I'll get the highest quality answers here. Well, more to the point, I'll actually GET an answer ...

I know that Canonical offers commercial support contracts for Ubuntu for $250 and up. And there are some companies listed that apparently will do support, but there are a zillion listed and choosing one is fraught with risk. I have what are likely simple questions and I want to be able to put these questions out into a marketplace and let the answer develop under multiple eyeballs.

Is there something like an experts-exchange.com for Ubuntu? I would post a question and wait for bids, and I'd pay for the answer. I am totally willing to pay for answers, and have said as much in my forum posts (and I've done it elsewhere for years) but I'm getting no responses. BTW, I've never actually used experts-exchange so I don't know that it works the way I hope: me paying for answers.

Or should I just use experts-exchange.com itself for Ubuntu questions?

ciscosurfer
August 25th, 2006, 01:56 PM
I would start by wording the titles of your posts keenly. UbuntuForums is a fantastic place to get answers, provided you explain in detail what is going on and title your posts so that others' can help you. There are sites that offer what are called "Bounties" and this may be what you are specifically looking for. I would, however, try to stay the course here. I suppose you can try experts-exchange. But just know that you are currently on a site (UbuntuForums) with Ubuntu experts. If in fact you feel like you need commercial, one-on-one support, then Canonical might be the way to go.

thumper
August 25th, 2006, 04:10 PM
There are a number of experts that frequent this forum and are happy to answer questions for no charge.

You must be aware though that not everyone who answers is an expert :)

arkangel
August 25th, 2006, 04:33 PM
I am sure you dont have to pay for an answer , the ubuntu community has members who are willing to help you for free, this is the spirit of the free software and open mind that Ubuntu shares.

so my advice is simply post your questions and wait for an answer and feel free to ask

i always find an answer here and any time i can help i do it gladly

chonger
August 25th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Screw these guys. You can pay me for help!

ChrisC
August 27th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Alas, I've gotten far more response to this question than any other I've ever posted. I'm an engineer and I believe that I write very good posts with succinct, desciptive titles. Unfortunately they all pretty much get buried without a trace.

That said, I'll link to the latest question here and maybe one of you can pop over and take a look. Please reply over in that thread if you have something of interest to add. It's the last thing tying me to my old Windows machine.

palm device crashes khubd / how to restart USB subsystem? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=241396)

Back in this thread, I'm still interested in pointers to "bounty" sites. I have a lot of questions but just don't have the time to craft careful posts to this forum and hope for an answer. Well, I WOULD have the time, if I felt it wasn't time wasted. My experience here has been that I only get a response if I repeatedly "bump" the thread to the top of the list for a week or so.

Surely someone will take my money :)

Maybe I'm just asking hard questions ...