PDA

View Full Version : Xserver problems and the expression of unhappiness

akak8ty
August 25th, 2006, 12:40 PM
You personally tseliot have been a shining light to many here. You are a credit to the forums. I'm not directing ANY insult or other at you.

The following has been uploaded to www.ubuntu.com. http://www.ubuntu.com/UpgradeIssue <-- Read for yourself. In particular,

<quote>
What has happened?

An update to the windowing system in Ubuntu was incorrectly released for Ubuntu 6.06 LTS. When applied to Ubuntu 6.06, the patch inadvertently breaks the desktop windowing environment on some systems. When we learned of the problem, the patch was immediately withdrawn. Mirrors have also been disabled to ensure that the faulty patch isn't available from them. For the limited number of users who received the patch in question, the corrective action above will resolve the issue.

We have launched an investigation and formal quality process review to understand exactly how this happened and what corrective actions to take. We will provide further information from this review when it is available.
</quote>

So I will leave others to decide whether dev's know how to test a patch. My guess is they do. Anyway it's a MOOT Point. I appreciate that there is work even done on ubuntu.

People WERE affected and have a right to have a say.

I hear you Pinny- but the forum nazi's have to "control" the situation. If only they put 1/2 as much effort into the big picture, we wouldn't be sitting here still hashing all this bs out.[-(

matthew
August 25th, 2006, 12:49 PM
I hear you Pinny- but the forum nazi's have to "control" the situation. If only they put 1/2 as much effort into the big picture, we wouldn't be sitting here still hashing all this bs out.[-(I think the term "forum nazis" is a bit much, don't you??

In any case, the goal here is to keep the focus on tech support for users who need it and we're merely trying to separate out the additional chatter to a more appropriate location. In other words, we're not trying to stop people from expressing themselves (we have appropriate areas of the forums for that) we are trying to make sure that those who need help can find it without having to sift through posts like yours and mine in the middle of a support thread. Now, please, let's move the conversation on this topic elsewhere and allow this thread to continue with actual tech support and no further distracting interruptions. Thank you.

akak8ty
August 25th, 2006, 01:00 PM
I think the term "forum nazis" is a bit much, don't you??

In any case, the goal here is to keep the focus on tech support for users who need it and we're merely trying to separate out the additional chatter to a more appropriate location. In other words, we're not trying to stop people from expressing themselves (we have appropriate areas of the forums for that) we are trying to make sure that those who need help can find it without having to sift through posts like yours and mine in the middle of a support thread. Now, please, let's move the conversation on this topic elsewhere and allow this thread to continue with actual tech support and no further distracting interruptions. Thank you.
mmmmmmmm....no. I don't think its a bit much.
Some are pretty HARSH.
Not tseliot, mind you- he's had his hands full here.
Some one always has to deal with the foul end of someone elses faux pas. He's done a good job, and I think he deserves a huge bonus.

yaztromo
August 25th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Okay obviously you have some obsession with bold and using bad netiquette. Fair enough.

Again, did you know exactly how things went and therefore also on how many computers the update was tested?

According to you, several. Several to me means not very many at all.

If not, then just stop bashing the developers. The fact of being angry with them does not justify what you said. Offending other people is NOT tolerated on this forum.

I've "bashed" one developer, and for a good reason. A reason you haven't been able to argue much with.

Who have I offended by the way? Stop putting words in my mouth.

About testing:
I am not a developer. But that does not allow you to claim that I don't know how to test things since you don't know me.

You seem to think "several" computers is okay, since you are obviously saying the developer did nothing at all wrong, when clearly he messed up royally. We wouldn't have had this problem in the first place if he didn't would we?

If you are a developer and you think to be much better than the current developers then apply for a job or work as a volounteer and contribute instead of claiming that the developers don't know "how to properly test a patch".

Haha I knew that was coming. The standard "if you think you can do better" rubbish. I'm not a developer and nor do I wish to be. If I had the time to contribute I certainly would. I'd also test my updates on large range of machines with many different configurations. Wouldn't you?

This part in bold

Okay I'm going to leave it at that. Arguing this out with you much further won't help. Since neither yours or my opinion won't change. But like has been said before, I have a right to express my dissapointment. And when I think somethings wrong, I'll be sure to say something.

akak8ty
August 25th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Okay obviously you have some obsession with bold and using bad netiquette. Fair enough.

According to you, several. Several to me means not very many at all.

I've "bashed" one developer, and for a good reason. A reason you haven't been able to argue much with.

Who have I offended by the way? Stop putting words in my mouth.

You seem to think "several" computers is okay, since you are obviously saying the developer did nothing at all wrong, when clearly he messed up royally. We wouldn't have had this problem in the first place if he didn't would we?

Haha I knew that was coming. The standard "if you think you can do better" rubbish. I'm not a developer and nor do I wish to be. If I had the time to contribute I certainly would. I'd also test my updates on large range of machines with many different configurations. Wouldn't you?

This part in bold

Okay I'm going to leave it at that. Arguing this out with you much further won't help. Since neither yours or my opinion won't change. But like has been said before, I have a right to express my dissapointment. And when I think somethings wrong, I'll be sure to say something.

As it should be!

pelago
August 25th, 2006, 02:41 PM
I posted this in the tech support thread, but maybe it's better here. On page http://www.ubuntu.com/UpgradeIssue it says:

An update to the windowing system in Ubuntu was incorrectly released for Ubuntu 6.06 LTS. When applied to Ubuntu 6.06, the patch inadvertently breaks the desktop windowing environment on some systems. When we learned of the problem, the patch was immediately withdrawn. Mirrors have also been disabled to ensure that the faulty patch isn't available from them. For the limited number of users who received the patch in question, the corrective action above will resolve the issue.

The bit in bold (my bold) isn't true, is it? Many people in the other threads and in the launchpad discussion noted that 10.3 was available on each mirror until 10.4 replaced it. There was no period when 10.3 was deleted, was there?

I'm really not bashing the developers here, I'm bashing whoever is trying to put spin about this on the main Ubuntu website.

givré
August 25th, 2006, 02:58 PM
we learned of the problem, the patch was immediately withdrawn.Means only that the patch was removed from the package.
Like i said in the other (long, toolong) thread, i think that it's quite hard to remove a package from a mirror. There is automatic process to add, but not really the oposite.
But after they say :

Mirrors have also been disabled to ensure that the faulty patch isn't available from them
And i think that's right, because during one time, i couldn't access to the package. But it was in my opinion quite too late.

Bubbles
August 26th, 2006, 02:50 AM
I know we're not supposed to complain about something that's free, but if you came home from work one day and found your house had been completely demolished without your consent or knowledge, wouldn't you want to do a little complaining? Even if it was done completely free of charge?

Let's just say my little Linux adventure is over.