PDA

View Full Version : Qosmio x305 q705 black screen and nvidia driver

iozen
January 21st, 2020, 10:32 AM
Hi all

I have a toshiba qosmio x305 q705 laptop which runs only in ubuntu_
-nouveau, because i suffer from the chronic problem of black screen whenever i install the nvidia drivers.

I have read on the internet that people have worked around this problem by a so called riva tuner program which changed the power consumption settings of the gpu (nvidia geforce 9700m gts in my case)

I was wondering if it is possible for me to make an underclocking on the settings of my gpu similar to this rivatuner. But the problem is whenever i install the nvidia drivers all i see is the nvidia logo for a couple of seconds and then the screen goes black. I can not run anything and neither can i communicate with the driver or the nvidia-settings to make adjustments. Installing the driver with prescribed downclock settings perhaps could help. Or logging as the root (i can run the computer in the recovery mod) and make adjustments there would be great but in that environment the driver is not loaded as far as i know.

So if you can help me run my computer with its original drivers, i will be greatful.

Thank you.

Edit:
Computer is Toshiba qosmio x305 q705
Ubuntu version 18.04.3 lts
Software center suggests the the nvidia proprietary driver 340.xx
Every nvidia driver causes the same problem.