PDA

View Full Version : Terminal doesn't launch from Dock or key shortcut

agnieszka2
January 17th, 2020, 01:14 PM
I cannot launch terminal from the Dock, favourites or by Ctrl+Alt+T. However, I can click the right mouse button on the desktop and choose Terminal and then it opens. What might be wrong?

Frogs Hair
January 19th, 2020, 03:00 PM
What Ubuntu version and desktop are you using and is the system up to date?

agnieszka2
January 20th, 2020, 02:57 PM
The system is up to date,I am using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and Gnome

CelticWarrior
January 20th, 2020, 04:55 PM
Just to make sure, open the terminal as you've been doing and run
sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

Then try again to open the terminal the usual way.

Note: You can also run it from the TTY with CTRL+ALT+F3

agnieszka2
January 23rd, 2020, 02:22 PM
It hasn't changed anything.

tea for one
January 23rd, 2020, 07:15 PM
I cannot launch terminal from the Dock, favourites or by Ctrl+Alt+T. However, I can click the right mouse button on the desktop and choose Terminal and then it opens. What might be wrong?

Ubuntu 18.04 uses Gnome-shell 3.28.4 and a right click on the mouse does not open a terminal.

Right click provides a popup window with 3 options:-

Change Background
Display Settings
Settings

What is your Gnome-shell version?

Have you added another Desktop, Window Manager, Dock or anything that may cause some conflict?

Did you try Ctrl Alt F3 as suggested by CelticWarrior?

agnieszka2
January 31st, 2020, 10:52 AM
My Gnome-shell version is 3.28.2, right click on the mouse on the desktop gives me "Open the Terminal" option. I haven't add anything but I played a bit with different python versions, might that cause any problems? I can open tty with ctrl+alt+F3 but that's not what I need, I just would like to be able to quickly open terminal without going back to the desktop (so either from the dock favourites or by ctrl+alt+T)

agnieszka2
January 31st, 2020, 02:22 PM
For future reference: solution from this post helped https://askubuntu.com/questions/1086509/ubuntu-18-terminal-not-opening

CelticWarrior
January 31st, 2020, 02:36 PM
If you mentioned you had changed/updated the python version I'm sure someone would have provided a solution in this thread already. Please keep that in mind next time you need help :)