PDA

View Full Version : OMG, they have butchered the Human theme!

Spif
April 6th, 2005, 08:32 PM
I am the only one that thinks the Ubuntu theme has been going downhill lately? Just updated my artwork, and the brown theme color has now been changed to a brown-reddish color. It freaking ugly! :(

The theme was really good when it used the Clearlook's window border (they dropped the round corners and made the windows square. Kick ass!), and the mouse roll-over colors in menu's didn't have that 3D look.

I want that back :sad:

adbak
April 6th, 2005, 09:44 PM
I agree that the new colors are too brownish-red and that the old colors were too pale, but the older colors were better. The darker and redder colors leave a bad taste in my mouth. But I don't know if I would go so far as to say "freaking ugly".

Glanz
April 6th, 2005, 09:46 PM
I love the new colors because they go perfectly with my desktop background.. I made this from a photo of......
http://promote-opensource.org/uploads/img425448f91970f.jpg
(http://promote-opensource.org/uploads/img425448f91970f.jpg)

GentleHatemonger
April 6th, 2005, 10:03 PM
I really dislike this theme, I enjoyed the original dull theme, as well as the clearlooks-type one.

GentleHatemonger
April 6th, 2005, 10:10 PM
On another note, Hoary is approaching extremely soon I really hope that this doesn't go into final.
I am a very visual person, and many others are. Themes are extremely important for me, something like this would've turned me off of Ubuntu originally.

Dracontopes
April 6th, 2005, 10:33 PM
I like the new reddish-brown \\:D/:grin::-P:razz:

Glanz
April 6th, 2005, 10:35 PM
DasssssRight!!!!! Way 2 go!!!!

RastaMahata
April 6th, 2005, 10:36 PM
screenshot please :/

J. S. Jackson
April 6th, 2005, 10:38 PM
On another note, Hoary is approaching extremely soon I really hope that this doesn't go into final.
I am a very visual person, and many others are. Themes are extremely important for me, something like this would've turned me off of Ubuntu originally.
I don't mean to be daft, but you do know you can change themes? Personally I care less about the default, since I know I'll change it anyway.

To be honest, I'm burned out on 95% of all themes being some variation of blue/gray, with the occasional "olive" or so.

Individual taste varies, of course, but I thought the brown themes were a tad dull and depressing looking. Especially the one in warty. The clearlooks one was an inprovement, but still fairly bland.

sanjeevdas
April 6th, 2005, 10:39 PM
I am the only one that thinks the Ubuntu theme has been going downhill lately? Just updated my artwork, and the brown theme color has now been changed to a brown-reddish color. It freaking ugly! :(

The theme was really good when it used the Clearlook's window border (they dropped the round corners and made the windows square. Kick ass!), and the mouse roll-over colors in menu's didn't have that 3D look.

I want that back :sad:

I completely agree! I really loved the theme in the release candidate (the clearlooks one). It was nice and subtle. In fact, I still use that. The redish-brown colors and the 3D menu highlighting really puts me off. I hope those in charge of Ubuntu artwork read these messages.

sanjeevdas
April 6th, 2005, 10:42 PM
I don't mean to be daft, but you do know you can change themes? Personally I care less about the default, since I know I'll change it anyway.

But the Warty one and the RC one are not even available as a choice (unless you got the warty and the rc CD). Where do you get them?

Chibi
April 6th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Today's update SERIOUSLY borked my whole desktop feng-shui! The GDM circle of freinds, previously beuatiful, now completely destroyed, and not even mimicing the ubuntu logo, the reddened colors really get on my nerves, and the gnome-startup bar went backward, the one from the other day was soooo much better. I was completely on the default ubuntu theme until today's/this morning/whatever's update. Please, for the love of all things holy, roll back a version on the artwork, and don't touch it anymore! It was PERFECT the way it was! ;_;

sanjeevdas
April 6th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Today's update SERIOUSLY borked my whole desktop feng-shui! The GDM circle of freinds, previously beuatiful, now completely destroyed, and not even mimicing the ubuntu logo, the reddened colors really get on my nerves, and the gnome-startup bar went backward, the one from the other day was soooo much better. I was completely on the default ubuntu theme until today's/this morning/whatever's update. Please, for the love of all things holy, roll back a version on the artwork, and don't touch it anymore! It was PERFECT the way it was! ;_;

I think the RC one was perfect ;-)

arctic
April 6th, 2005, 10:57 PM
well... no one denies you the right to open gimp and change the stuff to your personal tastes. from a professionalism point of view, the new look is better than the previous, comparing it to other os'es default look, but those who prefer the dull and flat look naturally are disturbed by the new look. so maybe the best option would be to pack the old style and artwork on a server for download. that way, almost everyone would be satisfied, right?

Chibi
April 6th, 2005, 11:03 PM
http://studiochibico.com/img/xfce-ubuntu504.png
This was a few days ago. There's not much to judge the difference by, but you can see the base color is darker and easier on the eyes, and the bars are more chocolate than today.

I have a very high-contrast monitor, White makes it blast out rays of death at my eyes, de-creaming the dull colors for reds and whites makes things overall more distracting and harder to look at. The professional touch we've had the past few days is completely gone.

::switches back to olive and prays the overall human theme is repaired before release::

Chibi
April 6th, 2005, 11:07 PM
well... no one denies you the right to open gimp and change the stuff to your personal tastes. from a professionalism point of view, the new look is better than the previous, comparing it to other os'es default look, but those who prefer the dull and flat look naturally are disturbed by the new look. so maybe the best option would be to pack the old style and artwork on a server for download. that way, almost everyone would be satisfied, right?
arctic - True, no one is holding us back from opening gimp. However, certain things to halt me from getting the last release cantidate just for a theme, logon screen, and startup banner that were better than the current.

Glanz
April 6th, 2005, 11:10 PM
All one has to do when one finds a theme with which one is satisfied is to apt-"pin" it so it doesn't get updated with the rest of the ubuntu goodies.

herweg
April 6th, 2005, 11:44 PM
I personally kinda like the new redder theme, but it seems everyone is split between liking it and hating it. I think that it would be good if there were a choice of themes, instead of just the one, saved in the gnome themes menu. I also want to point out that I think it's great that the artists/devs pay attention to this board, as I have seen the theme change over the past weeks according to suggestions posted here.

Paul Sinnett
April 6th, 2005, 11:45 PM
I'd like to add my vote in favour of the new graphics and colours. In my opinion these are getting better over time. I don't have the new login screen yet but I've seen it on the website and I think it's a big improvement.

Chibi
April 6th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Of course, that would have helped /before/ they suddenly changed the entire theme, even after the FULL FREEZE two days ago. I thought this ubuntu release was going to be perfect, but blah. I can guarantee you that there's going to be a review listed on OS-News speaking entirely high of ubuntu in it's progress, and the release... And they're going to say the big downfall is the default theme-- And I bet in a crazy alternate universe where this art change didn't happen, this reviewer would say otherwise, putting up a bonus point in the distro, and increasing the userbase.

An please don't say that theme makes little difference, because at the core, all Linux distro's are linux, gnu, a package system, look and feel, and the heart that goes in to building them and making them perfect.
When I was new to linux, and first started distro hunting, my first impression of every distro was the screenshots. I shunned at the KDE based distro's that needed to have rough gradients and bubbly shiney icons with huge glares everywhere. And a giant blue gear backround. Everything had to be flashy and bright. That's why I attached myself to gnome.

Every gnome distro I saw had a flat professional look, I was swayed, but not enough to make a choice.. So I let someone else decide for me, and they gave me slackware. Ouch, that was a pain to maintain.

-Blah blah blah, my linux life story-

In the end, put it this way. The release cantidate's scheme was the only default linux theme I've ever seen that on it's own would make me switch to that particular OS. Or something. Yeah. I'll shut up now.

J. S. Jackson
April 6th, 2005, 11:58 PM
I have a very high-contrast monitor, White makes it blast out rays of death at my eyes
Hehe :) But seriously, perhaps you should adjust the contrast? If your contrast (white level) is as high as you describe, then it's likely that your monitor is incorrectly setup.

Have a look here (http://epaperpress.com/monitorcal/index.html)

Chibi
April 7th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Hehe :) But seriously, perhaps you should adjust the contrast? If your contrast (white level) is as high as you describe, then it's likely that your monitor is incorrectly setup.

Have a look here (http://epaperpress.com/monitorcal/index.html)
I have a contrast fetish. Below 100% contrast is just too low. <_>;.. My wardrobe is black with white.. And maximum contrast really helps gaming in dark rooms. The deathrays shoot out of the monitor and make you feel in the game :D

bvc
April 7th, 2005, 01:23 AM
if you have my Big_Pack then you have Clearlooks-4Humans which is an improved old Human ;-)

Glanz
April 7th, 2005, 02:09 AM
You are all going to hate me for saying this, but I believe those who have a problem with brownish/reddish/yellowish themes are those who have been Windows indoctrinated into that sickening baby-blue MS-MAC diaper box color scheme and the tellytubbyesque default Windows desktop. Get over it. This is another universe entirely, and far from Redmondland and from Jobbish Yuppiedom.

sanjeevdas
April 7th, 2005, 02:48 AM
You are all going to hate me for saying this, but I believe those who have a problem with brownish/reddish/yellowish themes are those who have been Windows indoctrinated into that sickening baby-blue MS-MAC diaper box color scheme and the tellytubbyesque default Windows desktop. Get over it. This is another universe entirely, and far from Redmondland and from Jobbish Yuppiedom.

Sorry, I actually like the brown Ubuntu colors. That's what attracted me to Warty in the first place- a polished deskotp that feels right out of the box. This redish brown is a little too red for me.

Chibi
April 7th, 2005, 03:12 AM

I'm not going to hate you for saying that, I'm going to point out that no one here says they dislike the ubuntu scheme, but that most of the people here perfer the chocolate-earth version of Human that we've had in hoary for some time, where as the others are perfering the new reddish-white Human from today or yesterday. I'm not sure where you're coming from with the generalization that we're all Redmond Yuppies, when we're just pointing out that from ubuntu-artwork 0.2.23-1 to 0.2.24-1 was a step backward in beauty, and that we hope for a roleback before the Hoary pressing begins.

I think Windows XP's Fisher-Price scheme is disgusting, and over gradienting and plasticating widgets is a negative.

Dull-creamy-chocolate browns to White and reddened brown is more flashy, painfull on the eyes.. And.. Uh.. If you pay close attention, doesn't really fit with the default backround either. .23 had no blue, it just had perfection that Hoary's release will be missing due to the sudden change.

Glanz
April 7th, 2005, 03:23 AM
OK Gotcha! I was a bit unfair on that one. I see your point in preferring softer colors that are less distracting from the task at hand. The fact is that I like both of the schemes myself. I just keep away from blues as much as possible...

adbak
April 7th, 2005, 03:25 AM
I'm not going to hate you for saying that, I'm going to point out that no one here says they dislike the ubuntu scheme, but that most of the people here perfer the chocolate-earth version of Human that we've had in hoary for some time, where as the others are perfering the new reddish-white Human from today or yesterday. I'm not sure where you're coming from with the generalization that we're all Redmond Yuppies, when we're just pointing out that from ubuntu-artwork 0.2.23-1 to 0.2.24-1 was a step backward in beauty, and that we hope for a roleback before the Hoary pressing begins.

I think Windows XP's Fisher-Price scheme is disgusting, and over gradienting and plasticating widgets is a negative.

Dull-creamy-chocolate browns to White and reddened brown is more flashy, painfull on the eyes.. And.. Uh.. If you pay close attention, doesn't really fit with the default backround either. .23 had no blue, it just had perfection that Hoary's release will be missing due to the sudden change.
Amen.

dcraven
April 7th, 2005, 04:37 AM
It kinda freaked me out initially, but I have already grown to quite like it. Once you get used to it, it seems to lose its redish hue and just become a more vibrant brown.

I don't know if you guys have noticed a trend here or not, but it seems whenever there is a non-trivial change to anything in any distrobution or popular package there is public unrest and a huge uproar. Threads like this one pop up everywhere with flames that the world will end and that the developers in question have lost their minds and that this one, not the last one, is the biggest mistake ever!!

But eventually, all the negative hype dulls down as we all get bored of moaning and griping. We get used to the changes, and sometimes we grow to appreciate them. Otherwise we change it ourselves and move on with our lives...

That is, until they change the colour again!! That will be the biggest mistake yet! It will spell the impending doom of the entire distrobution!

You get the picture :). Just give it a chance.

Cheers,
~djc

panickedthumb
April 7th, 2005, 04:46 AM
hmm... I'd love to try it, but my theme manager "fails to allocate memory"
Darn.

Chibi
April 7th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Noted. Gnome's theme manager isn't working for me right now either. :O

shimon
April 8th, 2005, 06:53 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Its horrible!!!!!!! Yuck Yuck Yuck. I hate it!

I want ubuntu back

valthonis
April 8th, 2005, 07:30 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Its horrible!!!!!!! Yuck Yuck Yuck. I hate it!

I want ubuntu back
You know, one always could roll-back the change in Synaptic and have their beloved Human theme back. I for one enjoy the richer chocolate color. It's bold, rather than washed out, and is a welcome change to what I thought was a sickly brown that couldn't make up its mind what color it wanted to be.

Dracontopes
April 8th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Screenshot on request:

:p

malmjako
April 8th, 2005, 12:47 PM
You know, one always could roll-back the change in Synaptic and have their beloved Human theme back. How would one go about doing that? I use the update manager to update my system, and I don't know of a way to undo changes...

Could someone please post the theme files (or whatever is needed) for the previous colors or give a hint of where to find them?

Gnobody
April 8th, 2005, 01:50 PM
I can't believe that that human theme is final. Especially with the old metacity border. The clearlooks-based one was MUCH better. The darker red/brown is alright, I am getting used to that. What happened to having a final etiquette icon theme as the default?

Well I guess if anything giving the technological leaps in Linux in the next few months and the new aesthetics being made, Breezy will be an amazing release. Lets hope it has: A good clearlooks based metacity and gtk2 theme, changes the GDM theme and GDM splash screen slighty (they are already VERY good!) and has Usplash and a nicer look to GRUB; XGL should be there with the "Luminocity" effects merged into the next Metacity; A good human icon theme with newer stock icons replacing the ugly icons in Nautilus and all the old icons in /usr/share/pixmaps. Although I am most excited about Gnome 2.12 and hopefully with the bounties offered to slim Gnome down and if it is compiled with GCC4 it will be VERY fast. Hopefully the amd64 build will become the primary dev build and more optimizations will be present in future amd64 builds and then backport it to i386 and PPC.

Gnobody
April 8th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Also, why haven't the forms (radio buttons etc.) in Firefox been fixed yet?

Glanz
April 8th, 2005, 02:26 PM
How would one go about doing that? I use the update manager to update my system, and I don't know of a way to undo changes...

Could someone please post the theme files (or whatever is needed) for the previous colors or give a hint of where to find them?
You have to have Synaptic Preferences set to keep all downloaded packages in the cache (It probably already is adjusted like that) AND NOT do "apt-get autoclean" from a term yourself which will keep the most recent, even uninstalled, packages in the /var/cache/apt/archives folder.., but not the 'replaced' packages. Then in Synaptic, right click on the application/utility/package in question and choose "properties" which will open a window with a "versions" tab. Check the versions and choose the one you want and follow instructions.

Last but not least, you can "apt pin" an app or a theme by hitting the "PACKAGE" drop-down menu in Synaptic and choosing "lock version". This will "pin" it. Later, if you see that a pinned version causes conflicts, you may simply "unpin" it using the same method.

bvc
April 8th, 2005, 03:17 PM
How would one go about doing that? I use the update manager to update my system, and I don't know of a way to undo changes...

http://www.kernow-webhosting.com/~bvc/theme/ubuntu/HumanOLD-GTK.tar.gz

Chibi
April 8th, 2005, 07:03 PM
You have to have Synaptic Preferences set to keep all downloaded packages in the cache It probably already is adjusted like that) AND NOT do "apt-get autoclean" from a term yourself which will keep the most recent, even uninstalled, packages in the /var/cache/apt/archives folder... Then in Synaptic, right click on the application/utility/package in question and choose "properties" which will open a window with a "versions" tab. Check the versions and choose the one you want and follow instructions.

Last but not least, you can "apt pin" an app or a theme by hitting the "PACKAGE" drop-down menu in sysaptic and choosing "lock version". This will "pin" it. Later, if you see that a pinned version causes conflicts, you may simply "unpin" it using the same method.

Whew! Thanks Glanz! I still had a copy of 2.23 in my apt cache. <3. You've saved my desktop.

pelago
April 8th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Whew! Thanks Glanz! I still had a copy of 2.23 in my apt cache. <3. You've saved my desktop.
Are you able to save that deb and host it somewhere for the rest of us to download?

Jesus Franco
April 8th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Ubuntu has been making perfect choices since i remember. The redish is better because it is even more different than before. Instead of all you people complaining and making the developer/designer feel bad MAKE your OWN version and release it to contribute. I dislike the new colors and the new gnome splash (I loved the older one but some f00kers began bitc*ing about that aswell. And now look....) So I am making my own and will be releasing them soon on my website and on this one. A post like YUCK MY EYES!!!! is a waste of bandwith.

Just my 2 cents. :arrow:

bvc
April 8th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Are you able to save that deb and host it somewhere for the rest of us to download?
you can't be serious!
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/u/ubuntu-artwork/

where do you think I got
? ;-)

J. S. Jackson
April 8th, 2005, 11:39 PM
I like the new colors. Took me a good 10 minutes to get used to it, though. Now I'm fully acclimated to it. ;)

malmjako
April 9th, 2005, 11:47 AM
I changed back to the 2.23 version, but I had already started liking the new colours better, so I switched back to the current version... Go figure!

pelago
April 9th, 2005, 12:08 PM
you can't be serious!
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/u/ubuntu-artwork/

where do you think I got
? ;-)
I'm sorry, I had no idea the older versions were still available. They don't seem to show up in Synaptic in the Versions tab.

I thought the ubuntu community was supposed to be friendly...? Thanks anyway.

shimon
April 9th, 2005, 12:59 PM
the screenys at http://www.ubuntulinux.org/screenshots/document_view show the NICE theme not the UGLAY theme

bvc
April 9th, 2005, 03:59 PM
I thought the ubuntu community was supposed to be friendly...?I'm sorry, I should not have assumed you had used any linux for any amount of time, but yes, all linux distros have repositories/archives, if you will, that contain old versions.