PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to enable file level dedup on ZFS?

dwater
January 6th, 2020, 05:39 PM
I want to have a play with ZFS's debuplication, but want it on a file-level as described on this page:

https://blogs.oracle.com/bonwick/zfs-deduplication-v2

I can't see any mention of it in the man pages though :/

Holger_Gehrke
January 6th, 2020, 08:46 PM
Please reread the last paragraph of the part under the heading "What to dedup: Files, blocks, or bytes?" in the article you link to. It clearly states: "ZFS provides block-level deduplication because this is the finest granularity that makes sense for a general-purpose storage system.". This agrees with all other articles on deduplication on zfs I can find.

Holger

dwater
January 7th, 2020, 12:33 AM
Please reread the last paragraph of the part under the heading "What to dedup: Files, blocks, or bytes?" in the article you link to. It clearly states: "ZFS provides block-level deduplication because this is the finest granularity that makes sense for a general-purpose storage system.". This agrees with all other articles on deduplication on zfs I can find.

Holger

Ah, yes, indeed. I read it, but didn't realise that it meant *only* block level, but I suppose it can be read that way. It's a bit of a shame, imo, but hey ho.

While you're here, how to tell it is working?

I tried to copy a large file to another one with a different name, and it still took ages and df/du still say it has used up double the space, if you get what I mean.