PDA

View Full Version : Installing Ubuntu Studio On Blank Hard Drive

mr-marksr
December 9th, 2019, 12:00 AM
I need some help. What will I need to do to install Ubuntu Studio on a brand new hard drive? Any help and/or direction would be greatly appreciated.

CatKiller
December 9th, 2019, 12:19 AM
Download the Ubuntu Studio install image.

Burn it onto a USB drive or DVD.

Boot from it.

Follow the on screen instructions.

Frogs Hair
December 9th, 2019, 12:31 AM
Do you have more than one HDD on the computer ?

mr-marksr
December 9th, 2019, 02:01 AM
No. I'll be starting from scratch. The original HDD has the windows on it and I think there's something wrong with it.

yancek
December 9th, 2019, 02:32 AM
Does the computer have some unknown version of windows on it and you will be trying to install Ubuntu Studio on a secondary drive?
It's significant to know if windows is still there in some condition and if so, which version of windows is/was it? If it's a newer windows and you're going to leave that drive attached, it will make a difference in the install.

Frogs Hair
December 9th, 2019, 03:01 AM
No. I'll be starting from scratch. The original HDD has the windows on it and I think there's something wrong with it.

Then you follow the advice in the first post. You will need use of another computer to download the ISO and create a live usb or dvd to install Ubuntu. Testing from the live session is good idea before selecting the install option.

https://ubuntustudio.org/download/

mr-marksr
December 12th, 2019, 05:38 AM
I have a few questions. I received and installed the new hard drive. That went well. I am assuming I should download version 19.10? Of course I don’t have a dvd. �� Does anyone know what the boot from cd/dvd is called on an Asus laptop? At the moment I don’t remember how to get into the setup screen. F?? on startup. I was on there already and did not see that cd/dvd boot option. Any help would be great! Thank you!