PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] mouse locator dead and many other issues with UBuntu 18

axd1967
December 7th, 2019, 01:05 PM
hello,

recently switched from Ubuntu 16 (which I have been using for over a year) to Ubuntu 18, am having a very bad experience for now.

the "Pointer Location" in the Tweaks does not work any more, it used to work for a few days, but probably died somehow when changing something in Appearance or some other setting.

many applications now use this Gnome menu approach that does not respond correctly to the keyboard F10: cursor up/down does not highlight menu items, making keyboard use impossible.

fonts in Firefox are unreadably small, same issue for the cursor (in Firefox). I keep spending time fruitlessly moving around the touch pad to see where the cursor is, and this never works, so this is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING...

I'm not the type of user that blindly applies all sorts of (CLI) workarounds (eg gsettings) that can be found in many forums, I believe in change requests that are followed through, and am surprised that Ubuntu 18 still has such issues.

sorry, I'm quite disappointed by Ubuntu 18.

-alex-

Autodave
December 7th, 2019, 01:23 PM
Did you do a clean install of 18.04 or did you upgrade from 16.04?

Dennis N
December 7th, 2019, 01:32 PM
hello, recently switched from Ubuntu 16 (which I have been using for over a year) to Ubuntu 18
Did you upgrade using the Software Updater utility, or terminal, or did you do a new install? If a new install, was this done on the same computer?

fonts in Firefox are unreadably small, same issue for the cursor (in Firefox)
Are you referring to fonts in the Firefox menus, or the Firefox window? Do you have a different cursor size within the Firefox window than elsewhere?

crip720
December 7th, 2019, 03:52 PM
For the fonts being small, both Firefox and Ubuntu have easy settings(GUI) that can adjust them bigger. Did not say what desktop you used in 16.04, but unity was default and can be installed in 18.04. Works well without any problems.

axd1967
December 21st, 2019, 07:46 PM
Ubuntu came preinstalled on XPS-13
The mouse issue in Firefox was solved by booting Snap and installing Firefox in a "normal" way... But I still jabe to zoom every new page to 160% at least.

Autodave
December 21st, 2019, 08:52 PM
Again: did you upgrade or do a clean install?