PDA

View Full Version : Installation gone Wrong..

resilienceguy
December 4th, 2019, 11:18 AM
Hi everyone,
I recently developed interest in Linux, my experience with it blew my mind and i decided to dump Windows for it. So i did Ubuntu installation on my laptop via USB side by side with my existing windows OS and it worked perfectly fine. At some point i decided i want to do away with the Windows OS and just have only Ubuntu running on my laptop, so did a reinstall and this time choose to erase the disk option option during installation. Now i am having issues because the installation type page goes blank; seems like the problem has to do with boot disk partition, i am a newbie and confuse.

Everything seem to have gone wrong with the installation, i will appreciate getting help to resolve this issue. I understand that i might not have provided enough information but would be glad to provide my details on request.

oldfred
December 4th, 2019, 02:37 PM
If you have NTFS partitions with Windows hibernation flag still set that will cause issues.
Post this:
sudo parted -l

UEFI or BIOS install?
What brand/model system? What video card/chip?

coffeecat
December 4th, 2019, 03:27 PM
Support request, not chat.

Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades.

resilienceguy
December 4th, 2019, 10:45 PM
If you have NTFS partitions with Windows hibernation flag still set that will cause issues.
Post this:
sudo parted -l

UEFI or BIOS install?
UEFI Install..

resilienceguy
December 4th, 2019, 11:19 PM
Post this:
sudo parted -l

UEFI or BIOS install?

The output you requested:
HP-Pavilion-Notebook
Model: ATA WDC WD10JPVX-60J (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical) : 512/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size File System Name Flags
1 1049KB 538MB 537MB Fat32 EFI System Partition boot, esp
2 538MB 1000GB 1000GB ext4

Model: USB Disk 2.0 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 8015MB
Sector Size (logical/physcial) : 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File System Flags
1 1049KB 8015MB 8014MB Primary fat32 boot, iba

oldfred
December 5th, 2019, 04:55 AM
How did you make USB installer flash drive?

I have recently seen where Rufus has two modes. MBR with CSM(UEFI) which is BIOS boot. And gpt with UEFI or UEFI boot. The Ubuntu ISO is for both and most tools to create a flash drive make it so you choose as you boot, not as you make flash drive.
CSM - UEFI Compatibility Support Module (CSM), which emulates a BIOS mode, only available with secure boot off.