PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] after upgrading to xubuntu 19.10 screen turns blank after playing video or games

bold33
December 1st, 2019, 10:13 PM
I upgraded xubuntu from 19.04 to 19.10 and this bug appeared. It works fine for a while, but if I play a movie or a video game, the screen eventually turns blank. Not instantaneously, but after 90 minutes or 2 hours (a month ago, right after the upgrade). Yesterday (Nov 30, 2019) it went blank after 11 hours. Today (Dec, 12, 2019) after 6 hours. This never happened before.

The screen blanks, but the system is still responsive. I can control the volume with both function keys and apps volume options, close applications, execute commands...

It goes blank, but I get glimpses of the screen, they last for a second or two, allowing me to navigate to close applications and execute 'shutdown-now'

Xubuntu 19.10 64 bits on an Intel CPU

how do I solve this?

thanks

mörgæs
December 2nd, 2019, 02:03 PM
It does not seem like anyone else has a more elegant solution so I suggest a fresh install of 19.10.

Upgrades have a long history of failing and they can give a wide selection of errors. Better to get into the habit of installing the version you want from scratch.