PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Lubuntu to Ubuntu 19.10

ex-para
November 29th, 2019, 04:19 PM
Can I upgrade from Lubuntu to Ubintu 1910. I have had the computer on various Ubuntu versions the last one being 14 something or other. I have used Linux since the late ninies.

mörgæs
November 30th, 2019, 08:47 AM
If you are running Lubuntu 19.10 then the command
sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop will add all missing software in order to get to Ubuntu 19.10.

Be aware that you will get a system dependent on Snap which tends to slow things down.

guiverc
November 30th, 2019, 09:49 AM
You can add another desktop as @mörgæs (https://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=939075) suggested, however I get the feeling your Lubuntu is old (14.04 LTS maybe).

If that's the case, I'd suggest a re-install. You could re-install using 'something else' & not format your system (it'll note your software, erase system directories, install, then try and add back your additional packages (if available) without touching user files), BUT there is a huge jump from 14.04 (if that is what you were on) to 19.10, especially given you are changing desktops - the result may not be ideal (or as good as a clean install).

If you just want to add the GNOME (or Ubuntu) desktop, I'd for sure add it. My own system was the other way around (it started as Ubuntu, and I added `lubuntu-desktop`, `xubuntu-desktop`.. to mine.. I select which I use for the session when I login. Negatives with multiple desktop are a cluttered menu (more program options, eg. I have all Lubuntu's + Ubuntu's, + Xubuntu's + Ubuntu-MATE's.. in mine), using the wrong program on the wrong desktop works fine but can waste resources (esp. memory; not an issue if you have 4gb or more, but worth considering if you have less than 4gb in my opinion), plus larger upgrades (my upgrades including all desktops I have installed on my 'bloated' system)

ex-para
December 1st, 2019, 01:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies I do have Ĺubunto 19 and I think you have given me enough information to do the upgrade. Thanks again.

mörgæs
December 1st, 2019, 01:25 PM
Good, please mark the thread solved.

ex-para
December 2nd, 2019, 04:18 PM
I would if I could find where to mark it solved.

Impavidus
December 2nd, 2019, 05:02 PM
Click "Thread Tools" (near the top of this page), then "Mark as solved".

ex-para
December 2nd, 2019, 05:15 PM
Thanks.