PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Gnome Desktop Background

janvi2
November 19th, 2019, 03:05 PM
recently changed from LTS to 19.10 Version and miss the possibility for Desktop Background in colors instead Pictures. New version only offers "Picture" while the old offered Wallpapers/Pictures/Colors. Prefer only having a black or white background

Frogs Hair
November 19th, 2019, 03:18 PM
See this post: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2430791

uRock
November 19th, 2019, 03:27 PM
Plan B would be to use Gimp or whatever to create a jpg of whatever color you want to use, then drop it in the pictures folder, then set it as the background. It's the same thing I do for html backgrounds.

janvi2
November 20th, 2019, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the link. Downgrade is not what I expected from a Gnome update and I hardly believe that its true. Removing the image background would be ok since image content on desktop is nothing productive to work with. Maybe next Gnome version will force users to watch a slide show and for further improvement they should introduce the W10 style animated tiles. Probably the input feed can be connected to any advertising company .... Assume all: Another reason to try if KDE is better ?

uRock
November 20th, 2019, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the link. Downgrade is not what I expected from a Gnome update and I hardly believe that its true. Removing the image background would be ok since image content on desktop is nothing productive to work with. Maybe next Gnome version will force users to watch a slide show and for further improvement they should introduce the W10 style animated tiles. Probably the input feed can be connected to any advertising company .... Assume all: Another reason to try if KDE is better ?

If you don't like how Gnome is handling things, then definitely give other DEs a try. I used Kubuntu for almost a year before I dropped it. I tend to install a lot on Gnome applications and KDE doesn't integrate their themes and stylings into those apps, which makes them ugly. XFCE in Xubuntu, on the other hand, handles Gnome based applications very well. The apps look like they belong. Xubuntu comes with the most intuitive background editing application of them all. It offers solid colors and can be moved from screen to screen in multiscreen installs to set a different background for each monitor.