PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 18.04 Upgrade Headaches

drsaamah
November 11th, 2019, 04:09 AM
So after holding out for years and years, the time came to move on from 15.10. I created a liveUSB for 18.04 (Studio) and installed it and after the fact it would not boot. This is not like many of the other problems I am reading where people get to grub and then after the grub screen they get stuck on a black screen or on the splash screen. I get BIOS screen, followed by black screen. Tried the holding shift key, alt key, tried Ctrl+Alt+F#'s, everything. The harddisc is doing nothing, and does so for at least ten minutes. My only choice is hard shutdown. So anyways, I re-installed and this time I installed without updates. Booted just fine. Okay great. But then when I update, back to the same place...
This OS was released 18 months ago, and its still plagued with serious problems?? That's kind of unbelievable.
No NVidia card (or any dedicated graphics card), btw. I know similar problems were attributed to nouveau and/or NVidia drivers. Please advise.

ubfan1
November 11th, 2019, 04:53 AM
Have you run any recent memory checks and disk checks (from smartmontools package, run smartctl)? Your legacy machine should not have problems as far as I know.

drsaamah
November 11th, 2019, 04:58 AM
Shoot, I forgot about my signature.. the machine in question is not the xps laptop. its a box I built specifically for the studio. its an Asus mobo (B150-Plus), i5-6400, with 8 gigs ddr3 ram. I'll run hardware tests from the BIOS, but this machine was working flawlessly before trying to install 18.04.

drsaamah
November 11th, 2019, 05:48 AM
omg... okay the BIOS has some ridiculous option for "Windows UEFI" versus "non_Windows UEFI" that I never altered before and incidentally never caused me problems until now. All is well, sorry, thank you.

CatKiller
November 11th, 2019, 06:19 AM
I'm glad you got it fixed, but I've got to say

So after holding out for years and years, the time came to move on from 15.10.

this was a terrible, terrible plan.

If you'd got to the next version - 16.04 LTS - before sitting on it for ages, you'd still have had support and security updates and the like. It will be supported till 2021, in fact, and one of my machines is happily still using 16.04. Because it was just an interim testing release, support for 15.10 ended in July 2016.

There's nothing wrong with sticking with a release for a while, but only if it's a Long Term Support release.

drsaamah
December 2nd, 2019, 04:02 AM
(sorry for late reply)You are absolutely correct. I don't know where my head was at the day I set up this computer and installed an interim release. But I have learned, and that is why I am now on 18.04 and not 19.10 :)
I'm glad you got it fixed, but I've got to say

this was a terrible, terrible plan.

If you'd got to the next version - 16.04 LTS - before sitting on it for ages, you'd still have had support and security updates and the like. It will be supported till 2021, in fact, and one of my machines is happily still using 16.04. Because it was just an interim testing release, support for 15.10 ended in July 2016.

There's nothing wrong with sticking with a release for a while, but only if it's a Long Term Support release.