PDA

View Full Version : I Never Know What To Do During The Minor Holidays

jetsam
November 10th, 2019, 05:37 AM
Anybody have anything special planned for Veteran's Day in the States? It's Monday. No mail service, bankers holiday...

Guess I'll probably take a walk around the Civic Center and ponder the old memorials a bit...

Crazy what we humans do to each other over history...

uRock
November 10th, 2019, 05:09 PM
Being a veteran, I'm going to enjoy as much of my "minor holiday" as I possibly can.

I've been written up at several jobs for taking my day off, because they didn't have enough respect to give the day off.

jetsam
November 10th, 2019, 05:46 PM
Hmmm... We clueless civilians could use some kind of annual ritual to perform that would celebrate the occasion. I suggest it include at least some of the following:
Politely avoiding your relatives.
Watching football.
Cooking something on or in a fire.
Beer, and fizzy-something for the abstainers and youngsters.
Spending a modest amount of money at the local shopping facilities.
Giving things to other people that don't have them already.

jetsam
November 11th, 2019, 02:00 PM
Happy Vet's Day, doge \\:D/

I've decided I'm gonna take my new cellphone for a walk today and test the new camera out on the old war memorials... There's a pond there with interesting bird life; it should make for a good day out...

Later Edit: I had a nice morning jaunt, met a pro photographer, discussed lighting and how hard it is to make a good picture of a statue, walked the pond and took several mediocre photos of various birds while learning about my cell phone's limitations.

I'm gonna call this one "solved," even though there's no real solution... not in the foreseeable future, anyways...

...or not. I guess you can't mark cafe threads "solved," unless I'm missing something.