PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Run software on Ubuntu without the W10 interface.

jasper99
November 6th, 2019, 03:37 PM
I notice that more, and more software use that W10 interface, example this:
https://www.itzgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Install-Opera-Browser-on-Ubuntu-16.04-Opera-Browser-Running-on-Ubuntu-16.04.jpg
I don't want to have unnecessary Windows references in Ubuntu, and certainly none of W10. it looks strange and bad on ubuntu.

Is it possible to turn of that design and use Ubuntu's own skin design?

Or is the only thing i can do to accept it. or don't use that software?

uRock
November 6th, 2019, 03:53 PM
If application designers are theming to match Windows 10, then you'd probably have to reach out to them with complaint. Firefox designed their squared off tabs to match Windows 10 years ago and I stopped using for a while because of that.

jasper99
November 6th, 2019, 04:02 PM
I happy that most mainstream browser Chrome don't do that.

When M release Edge for Linux i'm convinced that it will also have the W10 skin.

Also they don't look to Linux who have tons of interfaced and skins. Set it to your own taste.

<><>

Found somewhat with Opera Skins, but don't get download or install them, support current Opera version(s) skins?

TheFu
November 6th, 2019, 04:05 PM
It depends on how the program project team wrote the software. If they used GTK or Qt and don't prevent local customizations, then you can probably change things slightly. Don't expect to move things around, but colors, thickness, fonts should be something that can be controlled.

IME, programs that begin development on Windows tend to be so customized for a specific look that modifying it for any other platform isn't possible without a rewrite.