PDA

View Full Version : Anybody interested in Edge for Linux?

C.S.Cameron
November 6th, 2019, 04:00 AM
https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3083423/microsoft-edge-linux-official

Artim
November 6th, 2019, 10:13 AM
Not

TheFu
November 6th, 2019, 02:58 PM
Nope, but if I was required to support Windows browsers, then I might care.

More options are good, but anything from certain companies needs to be suspected of not doing things good for the users. Sometimes that is violating privacy and other times it is violating standards. Today, all the major browsers seem to be doing both either on purpose or by accident.

uRock
November 6th, 2019, 03:41 PM
I remember working support for a fortune 50 company and having to tell customers that the Edge browser wasn't supported with our products. I've heard it is based on Chromium, but I don't usually use generic browsers.

I won't be installing it.

webaake
November 6th, 2019, 04:16 PM
No.

sdsurfer
November 6th, 2019, 05:12 PM
Sure, life isn't quite hard enough trying to get web sites to play nicely with Windows browsers, we need more frivolous problems to solve. It's job security I tell ya', JOB SECURITY! :-D

mastablasta
November 7th, 2019, 09:31 AM
Sure, life isn't quite hard enough trying to get web sites to play nicely with Windows browsers, we need more frivolous problems to solve. It's job security I tell ya', JOB SECURITY! :-D

the new edge will be chromium based. still not sure what teh advantage is of using it. it is not fast and it is clunky. i haven't used the chromium based one i think. so that one might be faster. anyway the settings and options in it are really limited at the moment. with chromium there should be more plugins i guess. because the current one is quite lame in that area.

Skaperen
November 7th, 2019, 09:43 AM
Not

+inf

Dragonbite
November 8th, 2019, 04:27 AM
I'll probably try it for shipoopies-and-giggles.

It will lose what little appeal it has if it doesn't sync, or allow to continue from one device to another.

Funny thing would be if it becomes available for Linux before it becomes available for their own Windows X (ARM) Surface! Currently there isn't one available.

Shibblet
November 15th, 2019, 12:46 AM
I think the question is simple... Will it fall under the "Free Software Foundation" guidelines? I'm pretty sure that it won't... but if it does, then why not?

QIII
November 15th, 2019, 02:20 AM
Who cares if it falls within the FSF guidelines?

SantaFe
November 15th, 2019, 06:17 AM
Well if you guys are thrilled by Microsoft Edge coming to Linux, you'll be overjoyed to learn that Microsoft Defender ATP is Coming to Linux! https://itsfoss.com/microsoft-defender-atp-linux/

The big question is, WHY?????????

Skaperen
November 15th, 2019, 06:24 AM
i want source code. not just some source code. it needs to be the source code that is complete and can build a working executable. i may not read all of it but i trust that enough of the community will, if it's available.

Shibblet
November 15th, 2019, 05:56 PM
Who cares if it falls within the FSF guidelines?

Because, if the source code is available, it can be made into different types of browsers. Forks of Edge. Or, Edge of Forks...
Anyway, really cool names can come from Edge. You know, how "IceWeasel" came from "FireFox."

You'd get browsers with names like "Knife", or "Sword", or "Katana".

People would say things like "I just downloaded the Khopesh Browser. It's like a heavy version of Edge."
Or, if someone in Switzerland made some adjustments and called it the "Swiss Army Browser."
Or you could put an Aerosmith theme into it, and call it "Livin' on the Edge."
Once it dropped into the Gentoo Repos, it could be "Bleeding Edge" Browser.
Nightly Builds would be called "Edge of Tomorrow."
A controversial release could be called "Edgy."

I'm just saying... this could be fun!

uRock
November 15th, 2019, 06:07 PM
Isn't it built on Chromium? (https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-wants-you-to-beta-test-its-chrome-derived-edge-browser/)

Shibblet
November 15th, 2019, 06:20 PM
the Edge Browser is the only browser that can play "ForkKnife!"

Shibblet
November 15th, 2019, 06:21 PM
Isn't it built on Chromium? (https://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-wants-you-to-beta-test-its-chrome-derived-edge-browser/)

Yep. I think all of the major browsers are now. Firefox, Edge, and, of course, Chrome.

deadflowr
November 15th, 2019, 06:28 PM
Yep. I think all of the major browsers are now. Firefox, Edge, and, of course, Chrome.

Firefox is, and always has been, not chromium-based.
It's the one hold out left. (aside from, Apple's Safari, I guess)

fyfe54
November 15th, 2019, 06:41 PM
I have Vivaldi.
No interest in Edge.

Shibblet
November 15th, 2019, 06:59 PM
Firefox is, and always has been, not chromium-based.
It's the one hold out left. (aside from, Apple's Safari, I guess)

I could have sworn that I read that Firefox had switched over to Chromium from WebKit.
Mandela Effect, maybe?

QIII
November 15th, 2019, 08:26 PM
The source code could be available without it following FSF guidelines.

The FSF has no authority over anything, nor any standing except for any it unilaterally claims for itself.

If the source can't be forked, I suppose we would all have to do without "Katana", "Dagger" and "Obsidian". Oh, well.

(Disclaimer: My rather dim opinion of the FSF does not reflect that of the Ubuntu Forums, Canonical, the larger Linux community or my Mom's opinion of pansies.)

Shibblet
November 15th, 2019, 08:54 PM
The source code could be available without it following FSF guidelines.
Since this is all just a "hypothetical" anyway. It could be available for people to review. However, if there is any "nefarious" coding in it, the Linux community would be quickly aware, and t

The FSF has no authority over anything, nor any standing except for any it unilaterally claims for itself.
Correct. But if it falls in the FSF guidelines, then whether or not it has "nefarious" code, it can be changed and recompiled by anyone who wants to do it.

If the source can't be forked, I suppose we would all have to do without "Katana", "Dagger" and "Obsidian". Oh, well.
Dude... if it's "forked", it would have to be "Trident Edge", "Edge Pitchfork", or even "Edge Spork."

(Disclaimer: My rather dim opinion of the FSF does not reflect that of the Ubuntu Forums, Canonical, the larger Linux community or my Mom's opinion of pansies.)
Hey, who's mom are you calling a pansy? ;-)

QIII
November 15th, 2019, 10:20 PM
A spork is not a fork. Neither is it a spoon. It is a devilish tool designed for and foisted on the public by greedy companies, absent any trace of social conscience, in order to avoid having to bear the expense of the manufacture of both spoons and forks for civilized and genteel consumers of delicious and nutritious fast food products.

Shibblet
November 15th, 2019, 11:12 PM
A spork is not a fork. Neither is it a spoon. It is a devilish tool designed for and foisted on the public by greedy companies, absent any trace of social conscience, in order to avoid having to bear the expense of the manufacture of both spoons and forks for civilized and genteel consumers of delicious and nutritious fast food products.

In other words, a browser designed by Microsoft...

Microsoft Edge, Spork Edition.

Frogs Hair
November 15th, 2019, 11:22 PM
It would be interesting to see and try Edge liberated from the Windows environment and that is the extent of my interest.

Shibblet
November 19th, 2019, 06:24 PM
It would be interesting to see and try Edge liberated from the Windows environment and that is the extent of my interest.

You know... the more I think about this, the more I find "Edge on Linux" to be a ridiculous concept. Back with Windows 98, Microsoft integrated Internet Explorer into the Windows OS. It has been that way ever since, until Microsoft Edge.

Edge is the Windows Browser. Edge CANNOT be uninstalled from Windows 10, as it is used to run all of the other little Windows 10 apps.

The whole concept of Linux (as a whole) is being able to choose the software you prefer, and customize it to your personal preference.

I like to compare OS's to vehicles. Windows 10 is an amazing version of Windows. So, I like to compare it to a Toyota Camry. This is not a BAD vehicle, per-se, it gets you to work just fine.
I like to compare Linux to Carrol Shelby. Shelby took existing vehicles and customized them to an amazing performance level. Shelby is most famous for customizing a Ford Mustang and (Shelby) Cobra.

I'll take the same comparison, and use it for browsers...
So, I guess the question is... Why would anyone want to drive a Camry (Edge), when they could be driving a Shelby Mustang (Firefox) or a Shelby Cobra (Chromium).

Frogs Hair
November 19th, 2019, 07:37 PM
I would not keep edge installed , but would try it out of curiosity. I'm not sure if there are any implications for wine or play on Linux users or not. It's my choice to dual boot out of need to use various software and my default browser is Firefox in the Win 10 environment. The weather, news and many other apps in Win 10 are edge dependent.

jetsam
November 19th, 2019, 07:41 PM
I don't trust it, and don't want it, and don't know why they're doing it.

When it comes by default on a bunch of distros, I'll try it if it's handy to have a third browser to test a site with.

Otherwise... meh.

poorguy
November 19th, 2019, 08:57 PM
I will stay with Ubuntu as it comes OOTB.

Shibblet
November 19th, 2019, 10:30 PM
I will stay with Ubuntu as it comes OOTB.

What Box? Do you have an Ubuntu Box?

poorguy
November 19th, 2019, 11:41 PM
What Box? Do you have an Ubuntu Box?

Nope I don't have a Ubuntu Box.
I had to Google what Ubuntu Box was.

All of my computers are curb finds or other users discarded desktops.

OOTB meaning I install and update and use as it comes and add very little additional software.

jetsam
November 19th, 2019, 11:46 PM
Nope I don't have a Ubuntu Box.
I had to Google what Ubuntu Box was.

All of my computers are curb finds or other users discarded desktops.

OOTB meaning I install and update and use as it comes and add very little additional software.

Let's be friends :)

You probably want this:
[SOLVED] Old hardware brought back to life (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2130640)

poorguy
November 20th, 2019, 12:10 AM
Let's be friends :)

You probably want this:
[SOLVED] Old hardware brought back to life (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2130640)

I've learned so much about Linux period from that thread as it is a wealth of information.

I scan the forums of the Linux distros I use and have found most of the solutions I've needed.

richardet2
November 25th, 2019, 05:20 AM
No, I like Chrome & Firefox.

yetimon_64
November 25th, 2019, 01:42 PM

Same here but with chromium rather than chrome :). I can't forsee myself ever using it but I do tend to like the idea of more options/choices generally. It is something I'll keep an eye on "from the sidelines".

Shibblet
November 25th, 2019, 07:10 PM

Ever looked into Brave?

https://brave.com/