PDA

View Full Version : Super + search not working

robwilson.laptop
November 5th, 2019, 01:33 PM
(New user, first ever question, please be gentle)

When I hit Super and start typing the name of a bit of software, nothing whatsoever comes up in the search below the search box, but if I know the exact name of what I'm trying to open and I type it in full, it opens.

If, say, I want GIMP and I do <super>GI, I used to get search results for "GI...", now I get a blank screen underneath the search box. If I do <super>GIMP<return>, it opens GIMP.

Happening since I upgraded to 19.10 yesterday. Logouts and reboots have made no difference.

TheFu
November 5th, 2019, 05:56 PM
Ubuntu 19.10 changed many things. Canonical decided to try out lots of things that might not be ready for general use. If you want an OS that is stable, stick with an LTS release like 18.04.

Reasonable question. Asked pretty well. With GUI questions, it is best to lead with the exact release and DE being used so nobody has to guess. For example, I'm running:

$ more /etc/lsb-release
Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS

And my DE is:

$ inxi -F
System: Host: posc Kernel: 4.15.0-66-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: FVWM 2.6.5 Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial

The solution for my DE is different than the solution for whatever DE you happen to be running.

deadflowr
November 5th, 2019, 07:34 PM
Which desktop session?
I know in unity (Ubuntu's old desktop) it removes the lens packages upon upgrade ( or it did, maybe they fixed that),
so you need to reinstall those

sudo apt install unity-lens-files unity-lens-applications
If gnome desktop (Ubuntu 's new default desktop), try disabling any added extensions.

robwilson.laptop
November 6th, 2019, 02:55 PM
Desktop: Gnome 3.34.1
Distro: Ubuntu 19.10 (Eoan Ermine)

I've disabled every gnome tweak extension in turn, no effect on my issue.

robwilson.laptop
November 7th, 2019, 01:38 PM
Issue solved with -

sudo apt-get --reinstall install yaru-theme-gnome-shell