PDA

View Full Version : My experience with Ubuntu.

Thanatios
August 24th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Well, I just wanted to note some stuff.

At first a friend of mine kept saying stuff like: "Ohh, you dont have those errors on Linux". And stuff like that, so I got curious and installed Linux (Ubuntu). At first it whas quite good, really stable, no hangings, no errors. And it whas like that for like 2-3 weeks. And I whas happy with it.
Later on a friend advised me to switch over to KDE, so I installed Kubuntu.
Like 1 more week it whas going good, but then problems started.

I got hangings, and programs like superkaramba used to much of my windows memmory. My audio players are all messed up, sometimes music starts up with 1 program, the second time with another. When I started up Ubuntu, and for example right clicked on the desktop, it froze. Or when I whas busy with it for a while, all the icons on my desktop disapeared for no reason O.O (Got back after restarting). Also, some programs just use to much memmory, my PC (Fans) usually make much noise when I play a game, but in this case, it makes much noise if I start up Azureus for example.

Later on, another thing whas added as a con to Linux -> I got a new game.
Every time I started up my PC, I switched over to windows, because of to many reasons.
If Windows freezes or has a error, it restarts up like turbo, but if ubuntu has a problem, you need to restart for quite a time.

I have no idea what to do now exacly, and have no idea why I have so many problems, while other people say stuff like: I can run Linux without restarting for like 3 days. Well I can run it for like 3 hours. =/

Maybe its just the KDE I installed, or maybe its the wrong version of Ubuntu, I dunno. I even dunno if this all is normal.
But I got 1 question: Am I doing something wrong? If so. What? How come people like Linux so much?

I hope for an answer, and some good comments =/
Cheers

aysiu
August 24th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Freezing does happen in Linux, contrary to what some zealots claim (read this book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590596277/ref=sr_11_1/102-5989660-4115355?ie=UTF8) for an example of anti-Windows/pro-Linux FUD).

What I've generally found is that the Linux kernel is extremely stable, but the graphical X that runs on top of it is not always so.

Freezes usually come about from one of two issues:

1. Not having the correct video driver installed. Some people, for example, who have NVidia graphics cards sometimes experience freezes using the Nv driver instead of the proprietary NVidia driver.

2. Installing weird software themes and such. Sometimes themes and add-ons are not carefully constructed or tested for compatibility. I remember one time I installed an icon theme from KDE-look.org, and then all of a sudden my Konqueror disappeared (when it launched, it would show up as a completely blank window). Another time, I installed a theme that worked great, but when I tried to change my display resolution, the dialogue crashed (didn't crash on other themes--just that one). So it's conceivable that a theme or a Superkaramba add-on could freeze your computer.

That's all I can think of. Best of luck diagnosing this. Keep us posted. Ask a lot of questions and give a lot of details.

Boomy
August 24th, 2006, 08:39 PM
If you are getting freezes with both Linux and Windows, you might have a hardware problem. Bad ram or hard drives cause freezing.

Thanatios
August 24th, 2006, 08:42 PM
well no, thats not it, I am getting freezes with windows because of viruses my virusscan cant delete, but that doesnt matter, I dont get them much, like once a week, since my install is clean.

And I dont think its a hardware problem, my computer specs are:
Pentium 4 3,6 GHZ proccesor
1 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce FX 5700 Video Card
100 GB HDD

All works fine really.
Except for Linux.

Bezmotivnik
August 24th, 2006, 08:49 PM
What I've generally found is that the Linux kernel is extremely stable, but the graphical X that runs on top of it is not always so.
That was my experience with KDE as well. Not so much in Gnome for some reason. [shrug]

ComplexNumber
August 24th, 2006, 09:01 PM
That was my experience with KDE as well. Not so much in Gnome for some reason. [shrug]
yup, same here.

Thanatios
August 24th, 2006, 09:20 PM
I guess I should just re-install Ubuntu, without KDE. =/
Maybe that will fix it.

Well ehmn, I have never unistalled Linux before. Hope it isnt hard. Is there any guide on doing it?

angkor
August 24th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I guess I should just re-install Ubuntu, without KDE. =/
Maybe that will fix it.

Well ehmn, I have never unistalled Linux before. Hope it isnt hard. Is there any guide on doing it?

You can't really uninstall an OS. Just install Ubuntu over your current installation. Point the partitioner to the same partitions you used before. Make sure you BACKUP everything that's important.

aysiu
August 24th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Why don't you just install Gnome on top of KDE and use Gnome? http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/gnome.html

DoctorMO
August 24th, 2006, 10:23 PM
You can also remove kde once gnome is installed.

aysiu
August 24th, 2006, 10:23 PM
You can also remove kde once gnome is installed.
You don't need to, of course, unless you're hard up for hard drive space.

If you want to, though...
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome

Thanatios
August 24th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Well I want a clean install. Even now when I start up, I can choose out of 3 ubuntus and Windows. (Note: All ubuntus start the same thing up). What is pretty weard O.o