PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] encryption while installing ubuntu

roy13242
October 24th, 2019, 04:20 PM
hy guys
so i wont to install ubuntu and encrypt my ssd drive that i'm installing ubuntu in it and i wont to know if the encryption will encrypt the whole drive
like the root partition, data partition and i read that the boot partition will not be encrypted so can you tell me if its true or not and if not
what the encryption option is encrypting ?

slickymaster
October 24th, 2019, 04:32 PM
Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades for a better fit

uRock
October 24th, 2019, 04:39 PM
If you select to install using LVM encryption, then it encrypts all of the ubuntu partitions.

roy13242
October 24th, 2019, 06:05 PM
i can't mark both boxes off encryption ? the LVM encryotion do both options ?
and what is the diffrerent between them

roy13242
October 24th, 2019, 06:07 PM
If you select to install using LVM encryption, then it encrypts all of the ubuntu partitions.

i can't mark both boxes off encryption ? the LVM encryotion do both options ?
and what is the diffrerent between them

uRock
October 24th, 2019, 06:19 PM
You have to have both checked. If you mark to just do LVM, then it will just create the partitions. I apologize for not clarifying that in my earlier post.

roy13242
October 25th, 2019, 02:07 PM
You have to have both checked. If you mark to just do LVM, then it will just create the partitions. I apologize for not clarifying that in my earlier post.

O.K thanks for the help
can you also tell me why in this article they show different method and it look more complicated ( i saw this method in more articles like this ) :
https://medium.com/@chrishantha/encrypting-disks-on-ubuntu-19-04-b50bfc65182a
there is any different in between them ?

uRock
October 25th, 2019, 04:11 PM
That may be something one has to do when dual booting. I haven't dual booted for several years and when I did my system was too weak to handle encryption and be snappy. If not needed for a dual boot, then I honestly have no clue why someone would have to go that round about way of doing it.