PDA

View Full Version : Warty Warthog 15 Years Celebration!

jt4u
October 21st, 2019, 09:14 PM
I just read an article reminding me that Ubuntu has been around for 15 years and I can't see any post celebrating this. Perhaps I'm the oldest member here and no one remembers or care about what they were doing back then.

Well, I do. My second son was recently born and I had heard about Ubuntu from colleagues who were more serious techs than I was. So I gave it a try and loved it. Never stopped using it since. Even forced my kids to adopt it so I could control how much time they spend on their laptops and to avoid all the nastiness of the overwhelming WOS.

What about you guys? How did you find out about Ubuntu and when did you adopt it?

1fallen
October 21st, 2019, 09:18 PM
About the same story as you. My join date was back in early 2005. (And forced myself to stick with Linux ever since)
Passion still high, but more level headed with age. :D

uRock
October 21st, 2019, 09:25 PM
I didn't jump on the ubuntu train until 2008ish. When Warty came out, I was a construction worker who only used Windows XP for Kazaa, MySpace, and Yahoo Chat.

crip720
October 22nd, 2019, 12:05 AM
I am still using a laptop that warty will boot up on. Downloaded a 4.10 iso a few years ago and made a DVD, that is the only laptop that warty booted up on.

poorguy
October 22nd, 2019, 12:22 AM
Wow I'm a newb compared to you guys.

I started with Debian Wheezy and and tried Ubuntu 14.04 in 2014 prior to the end of Windows XP and I'm still using Ubuntu and other Linux Distros.

zimbuf
October 22nd, 2019, 12:28 AM
Started with Ubuntu 6.06, Dapper Drake. Got recommended it on a BBS theming site back in the day.

I probably would have been too young to appreciate 4.04 :)

Irihapeti
October 22nd, 2019, 07:23 AM
I started with 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) in 2007; I joined the forums a couple of days later because I got a software install error which required some command-line magic with apt-get to solve. The rest, as they say, is history.

Prior to that, I didn't have a computer for several years, hence no Ubuntu anything, or Windows, for that matter.

yetimon_64
October 22nd, 2019, 07:46 AM
In 2004, when Warty was released, I was still using XP and actually enjoying it. By late 2007 I had been fighting badly with Vista for quite a while; thoroughly fed up with it I did a google search for "free operating systems" and found Ubuntu "Gutsy Gibbon" was recently released so gave it a try. I had used Red Hat 7 in about 2001 for a couple of months so knew of Linux generally but when I finally discovered Ubuntu in 2007 was quite annoyed I hadn't done such a search a few years earlier.

When I discovered Ubuntu 7.10 Gusty in late '07 I'd been using Windows about 13 years, since about Win 3.1. I have been largely Windows free now about 7 or 8 years with Windows only ever kept on my machines for warranty work reasons, not used for much else. I'm feeling much more comfortable about using computers generally and particularly so with regard to using the internet since getting onto Linux. It is a real pity I missed Warty when it first came out though.

Cheers, yeti.

jimmy-frydkaer
October 22nd, 2019, 07:57 AM
I started on Ubuntu 6.06, Dapper Drake. Newer looked back once.

The Cog
October 22nd, 2019, 08:45 AM
I used Warty Warthog for just a few weeks before Hoary Hedgehog was released. I migrated from Mandrake/Mandriva.
I remember being impressed that so much of it Just Worked. We all owe Mark a great deal for making it happen. Thanks, Mark.

ajgreeny
October 22nd, 2019, 10:29 AM
I messed around with Warty for a while way back in early 2005 having read about it and finding a CD containing the bootable live system on a computer magazine, though I can't remember which magazine it was; far too long ago.

I was also using XP at the time, and very happy with it, never having suffered from any malware or viruses as I'm paranoid about where I go to on the net, and very careful with stray USB flash drives.

Linux and Ubuntu was a revelation to me, I was stunned about how good it looked and ran and started investigating other distros, eg Fedora Core, Mandriva and others I can't now remember but Ubuntu was the best of the bunch so I installed it, very bravely as a dual boot, having made numerous backups on floppies which was all I had available.

I had a CD of WinXP so knew I could always reinstall if needed, but very quickly got to the point when I only ever booted Windows to make sure the antivirus was up to date, so after about a year, I think, I deleted XP, reinstalled Ubuntu and never looked back again. I joined the forum in July 2005 while using 5.04, Hoary Hedgehog.

kc1di
October 22nd, 2019, 01:45 PM
It's been a great ride, Nov 2004 here. I haven't always stayed with Ubuntu but I do come back eventually :)

cruzer001
October 22nd, 2019, 03:11 PM
I have MicroSoft to thank. Never would of left them if it wasn't for Vista back in 2008.

jt4u
October 22nd, 2019, 08:38 PM
All good stories. When I started with Warty, I had an old laptop that I wanted to use as a music player but it wouldn't setup the audio properly, so I pent quite some time browsing the forum for answers and found it. It worked a treat for a while. Just playing my best music I had stored on a DVD.

We all take what we have today for granted. But it wasn't always so. Android was born at least partly out of ubuntu as far as I know.

I drifted away from ubuntu a few years ago, never abandoned it, even installed it on my mcbook air until the dual boot failed and I never found the time to fix it. But I still have a desktop running ubuntu and two of my kids laptops are also running it. My oldest son defied the parental authority and decided to go W for obscure beatmaking reasons.

I only use W because I can't avoid it at work. But it's not a pleasure.

I'm looking forward to retirement now, so I have time to get back into proper ubuntu mode. But that's still a few years away...

SweetDreams
October 23rd, 2019, 12:03 AM
Woo! I hecking love Ubuntu.

cellsite60
October 23rd, 2019, 12:26 AM
My first contact with Ubuntu was back in '07 with Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn!
Not always stayed with Ubuntu but always checking in to test new versions, the version i stayed with the longest back then was 10.04 Lucid Lynx, that was a good one :)

VMC
October 23rd, 2019, 05:19 PM
Fond memories of Warty. I still remember how impressed I was, which room I was when I installed it. I've jumped around a bit, but kept Ubuntu close by. Great contribution Canonical!

Perfect Storm
October 23rd, 2019, 06:34 PM
Is it really so long since?

I think I was starting with warthy beta back then.

my setup:
https://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=232199&d=1209839025

DougieFresh4U
October 24th, 2019, 11:42 AM
I started with Breezy Badger.
I can remember getting free CD's from ship it, I think I got like 6 or 7 of them and
was giving them out and still have some laying around in the covers they came in.

zimbuf
October 27th, 2019, 06:14 AM
I have MicroSoft to thank. Never would of left them if it wasn't for Vista back in 2008.

Funny enough, you actually missed their best release (Windows 7). But as the saying goes, "and then it got worse".

My last straw was unwanted updates rebooting my system in the middle of games (after the penultimate straw of updates resetting privacy settings - such a thing should be a crime since they don't tell you).

That being said, Vista drove me off for a while, as well.

ravrak
October 28th, 2019, 06:29 PM
Is it really so long since?

I think I was starting with warthy beta back then.

my setup:
https://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=232199&d=1209839025

Man there is A LOT going on on that desktop lol