PDA

View Full Version : Should I Dual Boot ubuntu with a togo Windows 10?

chonte0313
October 10th, 2019, 06:04 AM
Hello people, u guys mind recommending me if I should dual boot my pc?
I got a ext hdd running windows 10 and it already has a efi for it and it is extremely slow...

Artim
October 10th, 2019, 08:31 AM
I guess it depends on whether you need software that only runs in Windows® and has no Linux equivalent. That could be true if you're a big-time gamer. Other than that I wouldn't dual-boot at all.

uRock
October 10th, 2019, 02:14 PM
Boot the live image and see if you like ubuntu and if it fits your needs. As Artim said, if you can do everything you need in ubuntu, then there's not much need to keep Windows around. Depending on the licensing for your copy of WIndows 10, you may be able to install it in a virtual machine within ubuntu for running any softwares not compatible with ubuntu. I have Windows 7 and Server 2012 in VMs. Windows 7 is only used for making screen vids to help friends and to use when connecting to an old camera server I have, which only works with Internet Explorer.

sdsurfer
October 10th, 2019, 02:45 PM
I got a ext hdd running windows 10 and it already has a efi for it and it is extremely slow...

By "ext" you mean external, correct? Maybe that's why it's slow? What do you have internally and what OS, if anything?

I have two internal drives, one Windows 7, one Ubuntu 18.04, and although I rarely boot in Windows, it's nice to have the option. It gets down to what you think you need.

twily2018
October 17th, 2019, 07:57 AM
Using Windows 10 on an external hard drive isn't the best thing to do. You're better installing it on an internal hard drive or dual boot Windows and Ubuntu on the same internal hard drive and use the external hard drive to store data. External hard drive are pretty slow which is surely the reason why Windows 10 is so slow on your computer.