PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu newb: no screen signal after install of Desktop 18.04.3

simonkepp
October 8th, 2019, 03:49 PM
Absolute newb here, having problems with my first install. I've made a bootable USB stick with the installer for Ubuntu Desktop 18.04.3. When I boot on the stick, I get the simple text menu, allowing me to try or install Ubuntu. If I choose Install, the signal to my screen dies. Instead, I tried the option to Try Ubuntu without installing, and it took me to the GUI without any problems.. From there, I chose the option to install Ubuntu to a local SSD, and the installation process seemed to complete without any problems. When booting on the disk I just installed to, I again loose the signal to my monitor, and have nothing but a blank screen. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

mörgæs
October 8th, 2019, 06:59 PM
Hi, welcome to the fora.

in a live boot, please copy
sudo lshw -sanitize > lshw.txt and paste it to the command line, run it and post lshw.txt in CODE tags.

simonkepp
October 10th, 2019, 12:03 PM
The problem went away by itself. After watching a movie on Netflix on a different PC for a couple of hours, I switched my KVM switch back to the Ubuntu machine, and now, everything worked fine. I'm guessing the issue was related to the KVM-switch, rather than the new Ubuntu install.