PDA

View Full Version : Finally Finished my sites layout!!!

%hMa@?b<C
August 24th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Today, finallyI finished the layout on my personal website. I got my adsense up two days ago, and just finished the layout today. Tell me what you think!
www.theironknuckle.com is the address. The content isnt nearly all there yet, but you get the picture. I am planning on recording my guiatar this weekend, so the "music" portion will be up!

Tomosaur
August 24th, 2006, 02:02 PM
1: I'm on 1280x1024 - when I view your website, there are two scroll bars - one on the far right, like a normal page would have, and one in the middle content box. This is very irritating to use. I need to scroll down with both scroll bars to be able to read everything. I suggest you widen your content box and trim its height so that only the content scroll bar is visible.

2: Your banner is difficult to read in that font.

3: Some of your external links load into the content box - meaning they display horrible. Check your Flash page in your Portfolio for example. You should make it so that the page loads into a new window, or takes over the main page of your website instead.

Aside from that, it looks fairly nice. In your portfolio, the actual buttons to get to the different sections (ie Programs, Art etc) are way too big. There's no reason for them to be so large. In most cases, you should strive to fit all of a page's content onto the page so that the user doesn't have to scroll down.

%hMa@?b<C
August 24th, 2006, 02:06 PM
1: I'm on 1280x1024 - when I view your website, there are two scroll bars - one on the far right, like a normal page would have, and one in the middle content box. This is very irritating to use. I need to scroll down with both scroll bars to be able to read everything. I suggest you widen your content box and trim its height so that only the content scroll bar is visible.

2: Your banner is difficult to read in that font.

3: Some of your external links load into the content box - meaning they display horrible. Check your Flash page in your Portfolio for example. You should make it so that the page loads into a new window, or takes over the main page of your website instead.

Aside from that, it looks fairly nice. In your portfolio, the actual buttons to get to the different sections (ie Programs, Art etc) are way too big. There's no reason for them to be so large. In most cases, you should strive to fit all of a page's content onto the page so that the user doesn't have to scroll down.

thank you for the insight!
1.) being on a crappy monitor, I had no idea of that! I will try my best to fix that problem.
2.) no real comment
3.) I agree, But dont know how to make them load out of the content iframe

Thanks so for your critique, hopefully I can impleent your suggested changes!

Christmas
August 24th, 2006, 02:25 PM
I like it, it's a simple layout. It'd be even more nicer if you could get rid of the google adds from the left side.

%hMa@?b<C
August 26th, 2006, 12:49 PM
sorry for the bump. but I would like to know how I make the links open out of the iFrame? Thanks!

Tomosaur
August 26th, 2006, 04:07 PM
use the 'target' attribute. For example:
<a href="http://www.blah.com" target=_blank>HELLO</a> will make a link of the text 'hello' and load the page into a blank page.

richbarna
August 26th, 2006, 04:34 PM
3.) I agree, But dont know how to make them load out of the content iframe

I think that the tutorials should be written freshly instead of linking outside of the website. It will look a whole lot cleaner, you could even just copy and paste them.

The problem with external links is, that if the external server goes down or the links get changed, your site is screwed.

I like the clean simple layout, but again the tutorials should be in a uniform list, with the same colour and evenly seperated.

Otherwise nice looking quick loading site :)

%hMa@?b<C
August 26th, 2006, 10:57 PM
thanks for the Code tomasaur!
Thanks for the tips and complements Rich!

Polygon
August 26th, 2006, 11:02 PM
i think you are already going to fix this, but links open inside the frame, therefor making it impossible to bookmark anything but your home page

and the tutorials list looks ugly, you should change the font and stuff to the normal font that you are using for the rest of the site.