PDA

View Full Version : where to find a beginners guide to Ubuntu?

muzza
April 6th, 2005, 11:57 AM
I am waiting for my Ubuntu CD (Warty, I think) to arrive and I have been searching the 'net for general beginners guides to Linux, but would be interested to find one specifically for Ubuntu so I can do a bit of bedtime reading so I'm not a total sponge on this forum. Does such a creature exist? Where would I find it?

Slapdash
April 6th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Hi there. Welcome!

a Great place to start is here.

http://www.ubuntuguide.org/

Usually any Debian based book / PDF's etc helps with Ubuntu as well I find.
Good luck. If you need any more help, that what the forums is for.

lao_V
April 6th, 2005, 12:11 PM
I think you should read the guides & FAQ here on TLDP (http://www.tldp.org/)
And also introduction to command line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/) should prove quite useful if you want to get things done effeciently. UbuntuGuide is good but it mainly goes into tweaking your system to get few things working correctly

muzza
April 6th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Thanks guys?? I've downloaded both and will look at them as soon as I can get the printer working again.

Mandrake - don't go there!

Slapdash
April 6th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Been there, got the T-Shirt, then decided to give it back. ;)

poofyhairguy
April 6th, 2005, 08:29 PM
I am waiting for my Ubuntu CD (Warty, I think) to arrive and I have been searching the 'net for general beginners guides to Linux, but would be interested to find one specifically for Ubuntu so I can do a bit of bedtime reading so I'm not a total sponge on this forum. Does such a creature exist? Where would I find it?

Here is the order to look for stuff:

1. Ubuntu Guide

2. Search the official Ubuntu wiki

3. Search function in Ubuntu forum

4. Ask question in irc room or in forum

5. And if its a stumper question: search the Gentoo forum. Every foul problem that has ever reared its head in the Linux world is on that forum.....

Gary Powers
April 7th, 2005, 03:26 AM

At Linux Online (www.linux.org), there are a couple of course available. I found them to be some of the best reading I've done on the subject of Linux and they are loosely based on Debian, so they translate readily to Ubuntu.

Gary

Ozitraveller
April 7th, 2005, 04:17 AM
This might be useful. It's the newest I've seen for Debian.

Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 Bible (Bible)
Wiley; CD-Rom edition (May 30, 2005)

Buffalo Soldier
April 7th, 2005, 05:19 AM
I've compiled a list of reading materials for newbies. Click on the link at my signature.

ctt1wbw
April 7th, 2005, 08:02 AM
This might be useful. It's the newest I've seen for Debian.

Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 Bible (Bible)
Wiley; CD-Rom edition (May 30, 2005)

I've got this on preorder from amazon.com. You telling me it's coming out in May??? Oh man, I thought it was out already! :)

Ozitraveller
April 7th, 2005, 11:11 PM
I've got this on preorder from amazon.com. You telling me it's coming out in May??? Oh man, I thought it was out already! :)

I copied that info from Amazon.

ctt1wbw
April 7th, 2005, 11:52 PM
I copied that info from Amazon.

Oh well. I didn't see that when I ordered it. I can wait. In the meantime, pass me a Foster's. :razz:

Ozitraveller
April 7th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Oh well. I didn't see that when I ordered it. I can wait. In the meantime, pass me a Foster's. :razz:

Wait I'll tap the keg!!!

ctt1wbw
April 8th, 2005, 07:47 AM
It's three in the morning here. Too soon to drink? :twisted: :-)