PDA

View Full Version : When listening to music do you prefer audio only or do you like music videos ?

linuxyogi
September 23rd, 2019, 11:51 AM
There was a time when I had no TV in my room. I only had a Sony mini hifi system and I used to listen to music all day but now I prefer watching music channels on my TV.

Audio only doesn't attract me anymore.

What about you guys ?

When listening to music do you prefer audio only or do you like music videos ?

guiverc
September 23rd, 2019, 12:43 PM
Music (audio only). Yes some music videos are cool, but I'm usually doing something (work etc) when listening to music, and I don't need another distraction (ie. the video component) so it's music (audio) only. My music doesn't have videos attached, but if I was to play a music video, the video window would be minimized so it wasn't a distraction.

(I do on occasion have a video play on a side monitor, but only during low-concentration tasks, switching to music (audio only) when I need/want to concentrate)

uRock
September 23rd, 2019, 01:39 PM
Music only for the most part.

PJs Ronin
September 24th, 2019, 12:38 AM
Music only unless there is a specific interest in the performer(s), such as 9yo girl drummer Yoyoka Soma. I cannot recall the last time I saw an artist so in tune with their instrument. Her dream is to play at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic... count on her being there. Plug for this amazing young lady: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i9Mqo99fKE

malspa
September 24th, 2019, 03:13 AM
Audio only.

yetimon_64
September 24th, 2019, 08:05 AM
As for my preference between audio or music videos, I'd have to declare them a tie. My actual listening time would favor music only/no video about 75% of the time. So long as there is some good background music on, either source of music is fine for me.

Tadaen_Sylvermane
September 24th, 2019, 02:46 PM
Audio only. I figure if it's video I have to stop what I'm doing to watch it. Automatic response I suppose.

poorguy
September 24th, 2019, 06:49 PM
A lot depends on what I'm doing.

If in the shop or garage doing stuff music only.

If just sitting around relaxing I like to watch certain music videos.

I have a media room where I watch movies and TV and listen to music.

TheFu
September 24th, 2019, 07:58 PM
Generally, it is just audio, depends on how much concentration is required for a task. Deep concentration gets instrumental music or Gregorian Chants. Most programming or system admin work gets a normal pop/rock playlist. We listen to audiobooks when travelling or if we're in bed but can't sleep. All audio only.

A few weeks ago, we did watch a full ZZ Top concert on the projector with the volume turned up on "date night." Had a few adult beverages and popcorn at the time. Nobody here watched current music videos, unless it is by accident. Wouldn't even know where to see them on purpose.

poorguy
September 24th, 2019, 11:02 PM
A few weeks ago, we did watch a full ZZ Top concert on the projector with the volume turned up on "date night." Had a few adult beverages and popcorn at the time.

The Wife and I do the same on a weekly bases and then some as we are in our middle sixties and retired.

Nobody here watched current music videos, unless it is by accident. Wouldn't even know where to see them on purpose.

Yep I'm with you there we choose what we listen to anything from 1960s and 1970s rock n roll or certain operas etc depends on the mood.

Skaperen
September 24th, 2019, 11:19 PM
audio only. i'm usually coding or hacking while listening. since i use compartmentalization users with pulseaudio in system mode, i can play music on youtube in one userid and listen to it as i jump around doing coding and foruming.

mastablasta
September 25th, 2019, 10:20 AM
audio only. videos are mostly done in a bad way and pointless to me. i can name only a few that i actually like to see as a video. they are mostly animated (e.g. Gorillaz, Pearl Jam's "Do the evolution", Night begins to shine - the BER joke viode in Teen Titans cartoon).

i also do not understand musicals and find them ridiculous.

i do like operas, and theatre. just not musicals.

echotech2
September 25th, 2019, 11:27 AM
Audio only, as background noise while life goes on.

Randymanme
September 25th, 2019, 11:45 PM
Sometimes audio, sometimes video; it generally depends on the sound quality. Studio audio music often surpasses live audio music. A notable exception (for me, anyway) is Tina Turner, Proud Mary, at Wembly Stadium, which features the finest musically-synchronized light show I've ever seen. To only only hear that performance would be a loss.

Skaperen
September 25th, 2019, 11:54 PM
and analog always surpasses digital.

Irihapeti
September 26th, 2019, 09:18 AM
Audio only. I tend to find any video addition distracting.

But then, I'm a classical music nerd.

soulglo
September 27th, 2019, 03:34 AM
Usually audio only. It seems like music videos don't add much to the song narrative. Sometimes you'll find something visually amazing like a Cyriak animation, but that's rare.

twily2018
October 17th, 2019, 07:52 AM
I prefer audio only. I mostly do something else at the same time while listening to music.

cellsite60
October 29th, 2019, 09:29 PM
Mostly audio, but sometimes it can add to the music with a good video!

fyfe54
October 30th, 2019, 01:34 AM
Audio. Jazz is my thing.

jetsam
November 8th, 2019, 08:24 AM
Simple visuals here. Cartoons, record sleeves, still shots or lightly animated. Sometimes game stuff or retro pixel artwork. Whatever, really. As long as the music has more dramatic "weight" than the video, I'm happy.

Audio only is fine, but it's just a bit austere for my taste in the YouTube/4G Internet era.

For examples, I'm lovin' this:
Nighttime Ramen 🍜 [jazzy beats / lofi hip hop mix] (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEGFFyv0MH4&list=PLlo0SHNz424-5yLJ0aUBQ_rOv45a4qbX6&index=4&t=0s)

and likin' this:
Zelda & Chill (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdzrrWA8e7A)

This a bit much for my taste:
Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take It (Official Video) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xmckWVPRaI)

:) :lolflag:
Cheers...

disabled20191124
November 29th, 2019, 12:27 PM
I prefer audio; music is for the mind and eyes are trickier than ears. Of course, there is the opera but sometimes they are best enjoyed in audio only. :p

mclark2145
November 29th, 2019, 10:50 PM
Music only unless there is a specific interest in the performer(s), such as 9yo girl drummer Yoyoka Soma. I cannot recall the last time I saw an artist so in tune with their instrument. Her dream is to play at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic... count on her being there. Plug for this amazing young lady: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i9Mqo99fKE

Even more impressive is her cover of Zep's Good Times, Bad Times, complete with bass drum triplets. She's one very impressive little lady.

Skaperen
November 30th, 2019, 04:09 AM
to answer the original question:

it depends on what i am doing. if i am doing something like coding or reading a forum or writing a post on a forum, i listen to audio only. that way i can keep attention on what i am doing. i run pulseaudio in system mode so that i can hear the same audio between users. that lets me play music by running firefox in a different user, which is one totally dedicated to doing things on YouTube, and hearing it (not seeing it) when i switch to any user (to do things).

there are times i relax and watch videos on YouTube. more often i watch technical videos like math, physics, astronomy, photography, and home construction. but sometimes i watch music videos like Aurora, Heilung, Faun, and Wardruna. i also have local music downloaded from magnatune.com with a lifetime account i bought many years ago. what i listen to in audio only is basically the same as what i watch when watching videos, except for some music from Magnatune (http://magnatune.com) that has no video content.

mclark2145
November 30th, 2019, 08:35 AM
I only watch music videos to be entertained. I don't see how anyone can have videos going and do meaningful work.

I don't listen to anything if I'm writing (particularly in a creative mode) or anything that involves a lot of concentration and reasoning/calculation skills, because outside input competes for mental resources.

I actually find it very hard to make use of online streaming sites such as Pandora or Spotify because no matter how hard I have tried, they never play music I enjoy listening to, or that I was interested in listening to at that moment.

bernard010
December 17th, 2019, 08:01 PM
Audio only. I am usually doing something else at the same time. Or have other web pages covering the video or minimized to the tool bar while I am just listening to the music.

wolftrax
December 20th, 2019, 04:05 PM
I collect CDs and listen to CDs when I want to listen to my music , if I watch youtube and there is a music video I will try download it with youtube-dl because I like music videos as well but when I lsiten to music its either because I want to sit down and really listen to it (I have studio monitors and have had a small audio recording set up) to get to know it and just listen to all details. better audio quality on CDs and nothing to distract me.

sometimes I just put on a CD and do some strenght trainng or whatever activity I might fell up to and when I have guest its also just CDs but if I am bored and alone and have nothing else to do I can find music videos on youtube I like and I enjoy that as well.

there is a time and place for everything so to speak.

marokah
December 23rd, 2019, 10:19 AM
Audio will do for me

bunny9000
December 25th, 2019, 09:36 PM
Sometimes when videos use animation it can be fun. I liked the daft punks interstellar 555. Music wasn't the best, but the animation and the story really made it worth watching. That's similar to the beatles yellow submarine. I can probably think of more if I trawl the archives though.

Generally I prefer the music only. Too often the video ruins the images I create in my minds eye when I listen to the music and like most people I'm usually doing something else.

I remember being a fan of the offsprings song the kids aren't alright. When I finally saw the video - :o - what's this garbage video. Especially compared to what I had in mind.

CorporateMonkey
January 21st, 2020, 05:29 PM
Some music videos can be very entertaining though.

lemonkhan117
September 29th, 2020, 01:11 PM
I prefer audio .because, music should be felt closing your eyes with open heart.

ayesc0tty89
October 24th, 2020, 09:41 AM
Has to be music only, I don't like most of the videos musicians do.

exploder
October 25th, 2020, 12:07 AM
I generally like audio only but I do like some videos. I like watching Stevie Ray Vaughn and Jimi Hendricks for example because they were so talented.

ameinild
October 27th, 2020, 08:53 AM
With Clown Core, there is only music videos :twisted:

CharlesA
October 29th, 2020, 05:04 AM
Does streaming stuff via YouTube count as "music videos?" :)

yetimon_64
October 29th, 2020, 08:45 AM
Does streaming stuff via YouTube count as "music videos?" :)

Yep, I reckon it does. :guitar: Some good music content there :).

malspa
October 29th, 2020, 09:18 AM
I use YouTube Music instead of YouTube mainly to avoid the videos.

Shibblet
October 29th, 2020, 07:25 PM
There was a time when I had no TV in my room. I only had a Sony mini hifi system and I used to listen to music all day but now I prefer watching music channels on my TV.

Audio only doesn't attract me anymore.

What about you guys ?

When listening to music do you prefer audio only or do you like music videos ?

I prefer listening to music, and not watching videos. When I listen to music, I draw pictures inside my own mind. I listen to the lyrics, and try to understand what the artist is speaking about by making connections between verses.

When I watch a music video, I see images that are very different than what I picture in my mind. Most of these images are distorted versions of what I see in my own mind. Therefore I prefer my own musical "hallucinations," if you will, than the ones projected by someone else.

Most of the time, music videos aren't the image that is in the mind of the artist. Some director is hired, and works with the artist, but between budgets, edits, conflicting ideas, music studio input, etc... It's amazing they come out with anything.

Edit: Every once in a while, a video along with it's music work well together, and makes a great impact. i.e. Gangnam Style... absolute genius. ;-)

shantiq
November 10th, 2020, 11:01 AM
audio
absolutely no visual distraction could never understand Music Videos why? :]
audio requires FULL attention to study it to surf it to compare it
in 2020 i only listen to Analog media ripped and converted .... cannot abide the metallic sound of CD's or even newer 24-bit streams
Typically a cassette/LP/8-track/VHS ripped with Audacity and played on Audacious Foobar XMMS
as a musician and linguist sound MATTERS :]
will watch films but then my focus is on image and story

so audio audio audio ... if it is music ... music is a food

Frogs Hair
November 13th, 2020, 03:33 PM
Both, high quality concert footage or creative music videos are great when I take the time to watch them. When working out indoors or computing for pleasure audio is better.