PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Ubuntu guided setup

haytham-med
September 14th, 2019, 04:01 PM
Hi, when i installed opensuse, i saw there was a guided setup, where it asked me if i want to keep my windows partition, then it asked me if i want to keep other linux partitions, Can something like that be added to ubuntu installation, to ease up fear of partitioning, Hope you best of luck.

TheFu
September 14th, 2019, 04:59 PM
Anything is possible, but nobody here works for Canonical.

Canonical has a slightly different philosophy for their distributions than other distro makers. They want simplicity over capability and they want the default to be what they think most of the users would want.

During install, there are options for partitioning - from my memory -

"Install next to other OS"
"Use entire disk" - some other options under this choice
"Do something else"

There are more words next to each to explain a little better, but I haven't read those in yrs.

All the long time Ubuntu users know to "Do Something Else" for control over the disk/storage setup. That isn't helpful to someone new.
https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/install-ubuntu-mate-using-something-else-method/651

Different installers have different strengths.

uRock
September 14th, 2019, 05:29 PM
I believe anyone installing more than one OS on a system should be well versed in partitioning. Though I already knew a bit about Windows partitioning, I still read and reread documentation on partitioning before trying Linux. I've never been one to trust software to make those decisions for me, outside of installing a single OS on a system.