PDA

View Full Version : How many have you converted?

professor_chaos
August 24th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Since linux seems to spread more by word of mouth rather than other influencial sources such as employment requirements, default installed OS on new computers, media advertisement...
I thought it would be interesting to find out how influencial word of mouth is in converting or exposing others around them to linux.

I have since using linux for 3 years, have influenced 6 people to install linux on their machines, 5 of the 6 still use linux.

Christmas
August 24th, 2006, 06:40 AM
I tried to convert 5 persons until now, but three of them didn't remain to Ubuntu, one is still (I think) dual-booting and the fifth one is still waiting for the ShipIt free CDs. I guess I'm going to spread the rest of my Dapper CDs to friends. The thing is they all like it, they all are power (or almost) Windows users, they all say it's nice and takes fun to configure and play with it, and finally, they all return to Windows.

Now I'm looking to install a Linux distribution on a friend's very old PC which cannot run Ubuntu, but I can't handle Damn Small Linux, I have to read some tutorials about installing software on it because I can't get any sound from it. I saw it uses DPKG to install software so this is good, but the PC has no internet connection so I will have to handle all the packages and dependencies and put them on a CD. If I can do this and get the sound to work, you bet we'll have one more Linux user.

Iandefor
August 24th, 2006, 06:59 AM
I don't convert people for a couple reasons likely to start an offtopic flamewar, so I'll leave it at that :).

chaosgeisterchen
August 24th, 2006, 07:03 AM
No one so far.. in this _very_ rural area people are rejecting evertything aside the 'norm'.

DoctorMO
August 24th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Linux is normal, windows is the outsider! damn american imports taking all our british pounds away! ;-)

My mother and sister don't count as a conversion since they didn't have a computer before it's all they've known. nor did my landlady who's only complaint is that xscreensaver doesn't work any more (or in her words 'my dolphins have gone')

My driving instructor was a convert, sick of installing windows ME and then the windows XP upgrade (yak), the only problem with this now is that he's thinking of putting windows back on the machine when he gets a bigger hard drive because all the games he has don't work any more, although I'm sure he's keep ubuntu installed, I just wish I could make it eaiser for him to not reinfect his computer.

It looks like I might get my future in laws to convert to Linux as long as I can switch some of the educational software accross.

It's a hard fight, I'm still working on my cousins who have always used windows, always pireted all their software and think of linux as a silly side lined software.

*sigh*

graabein
August 24th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Most of my computer owning friends are rabid gamers so there's no chance there. I've just tried getting them to check out a live-CD to see if their hardware is reckognised or the one that shows off XGL bling.

My mom is a GNU/Linux user now. All she does is play card games and surf the internet while listening to music on my old computer, so she might as well have Ubuntu as Windows 2000.

Maybe I can convert my girlfriend. She does not own a computer right now so she uses mine with no trouble. Dapper with Firefox, Gaim, gThumb and Picasa. She loves instant messaging and photo editing. I don't think she has much experience with advanced software like Photoshop and the GIMP so I'll try showing her the GIMP some time.

Yeah, and a friend wants a multimedia center in his living room. He needs a OS that boots fast and runs on somewhat dated hardware and that has a decent multimedia center like Freevo, MythTV or something like the XBox stuff. He also needs it to work with his USB remote control. I don't know what the best choice for him is. I'm going to help him do research on different distros and setups...

Anyway, good luck to all! I really think GNU/Linux and Ubuntu is a better choice for alot of people!

TeeAhr1
August 24th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Five, and they are all still using Ubuntu daily.

mrgnash
August 24th, 2006, 03:25 PM
None. And I don't intend to try either. If someone came to me and wanted help getting started with Ubuntu/Linux, then this would be some indication of the necessary willingness to learn that the transition to a new OS requires. Selling disgruntled XP users on the fact that Linux is immune to spy* is not difficult, but a conversion on these grounds usually only leads to a lot of whining further down the road.

%hMa@?b<C
August 24th, 2006, 04:08 PM
I have converted 4 people to linux, all in my family. Although my big brother who is going away to college, sadly will not have linux on his laptop, as I will not be there to work out the kinks for him. I am sitll working on convincing my uncle who just switched from windows to mac to install Linux on his iMac.

aysiu
August 24th, 2006, 05:11 PM
I don't believe in converting people to anything.

I believe in presenting options. If people don't want those options, it's their loss.

Omnios
August 24th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I dont have to convert people I just mention that Ubuntu Linux has no viruses and spyware. I let my dad play with my Ubuntu on my computer and now he dual boots. He is waiting for a modem port fix to use it more often and last night he had a bad virus corrupt his XP install and he stated he had it with windows as this is happening all the time.

Im not out to convert people im out to let them make a informed choice.

Bezmotivnik
August 24th, 2006, 09:08 PM
I don't believe in converting people to anything.

I believe in presenting options. If people don't want those options, it's their loss.
Bingo.

I don't try to convert people to Ubuntu (or Linux) because:

1: It's not a religion (or shouldn't be for a psychologically normal adult). It's only an OS.

2: I don't want to be personally responsible for 24/7 online tech support for the next year.

3: I know only a few people with the long-term expertise to even try to use Linux, and every single one of them wants absolutely nothing to do with it based on prior experience.

4: It looks idiotic trying to press an OS on the uninterested. If any distro was really all that, Linux would have already taken off like a shot without the missionary business. There isn't and it hasn't. Linux desktop has barely increased market share over the past several years, despite the hoopla and the (somewhat exaggerated) real progress it's made.

The best way to promote the distro is to develop and refine it. Then the promotion will take care of itself. Otherwise, you'll just permanently antagonize a lot of people (see 3: above).

ruvil
August 24th, 2006, 09:41 PM
well, i have converted one person.. but i converted him to debian instead.

maagimies
August 24th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Only one.
My 12 year old little brother :D
Although not to Ubuntu...
He has an old 350 mhz Pentium 2 machine, with 192 ram, so quite an outdated system ;)
It was installed with Windows 98, and while it's performance was quite good, it just became too sluggish even after only an hours uptime, and had to be rebooted. So it was time for Linux.
I did try Ubuntu first, but even with more lightweight WM:s like XFCE or Fluxbox, the whole Os just took quite a bit too much memory and behaved sluggishly. It had a weird shutdown problem as well, the machine just froze when trying to shut it down.
So, I tried some more lightweight distros, and after Vector Linux ended up using Arch Linux. It didn't make anything miraculously fast, but overall everything was more nice to use, and the bootup time lessened from a minute to 30 seconds :p
My own pc still runs Ubuntu though :)

aysiu
August 24th, 2006, 10:17 PM
If any distro was really all that, Linux would have already taken off like a shot without the missionary business. I strongly disagree:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/linuxdesktopmyth

richbarna
August 24th, 2006, 11:55 PM
In answer to your original question, which common sense tells me that you would like to know how many people I have introduced to Linux operating systems, :-
I have converted 3 people to PC Linux OS, 1 to Ubuntu and 2 to DSL.
On condition that they all joined my devil worshipers club as well.

For the sake of Aysiu, Omnious and Bezmotivnik, I have introduced the benefits of a different operating system for my friends to make there own unpressured intelligent decision as to whether they are ready for an optional suggested alternative as regards to their current operating system based on my own personal opinion that they are in no way obliged to accept if they feel it would hinder their current computational preferences.

I have no links to add for reference purposes.

djsroknrol
August 25th, 2006, 12:20 AM
I haven't converted anyone myself...although I've given away my share of install CD's..If they're interested in converting, I'm there to help them...that's about all I can do.

It's sad to talk someone's ear off, give them a CD and have them toss it like a "AOL frisbee"..that bothers me.

Donnut
August 25th, 2006, 12:22 AM
Bingo.

2: I don't want to be personally responsible for 24/7 online tech support for the next year.

Amen. I used to do this, but it took all of my time. Now I either get on IRC or ubuntu-forums.org and help on my own time.

I have converted one of my closer friends, but he just looked over my shoulder and noticed how I never had viruses, spyware, and asked if I would give him an install CD. I of course, Just cranked up opera on my all-ready busy old notebook, downloaded the 5.10 CD and gave it to him. He was shocked and said "windows won't do that!" (His comp is roughly twice as fast as my machine). From the day he installed it he was hooked.

BigDave708
August 25th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Can you lot just answer the question instead of being so bloody pedantic?

Here's my answer:

That's the end of it . . .

KiwiNZ
August 25th, 2006, 12:30 AM
Since linux seems to spread more by word of mouth rather than other influencial sources such as employment requirements, default installed OS on new computers, media advertisement...
I thought it would be interesting to find out how influencial word of mouth is in converting or exposing others around them to linux.

I have since using linux for 3 years, have influenced 6 people to install linux on their machines, 5 of the 6 still use linux.

I guess I have converted a quite a few. I sell PC's with the purchasers OS of choice pre-installed.Be it WinXP ,2K ,Ubuntu,Suse...etc.
I demonstrate thesame machine with different OS's and let them choose what best fits them.

I have lost count of how many Ubuntu CD's I have given away.

KiwiNZ
August 25th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Can you lot just answer the question instead of being so bloody pedantic?

Here's my answer:

That's the end of it . . .

You have a point , it really was a simple questin folks.

But Dave that font on 2 , remember our ram is in demand :p

BigDave708
August 25th, 2006, 12:57 AM
But Dave that font on 2 , remember our ram is in demand :p
I feel all sorry for the RAM now!

"Please, won't somebody just think of the RAM!!" :mrgreen:

KiwiNZ
August 25th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Doh I had to mention Ram](*,)

Ok I'm waiting .....

Where are the Sheep jokes:p

Yossarian
August 25th, 2006, 01:02 AM
Another one here who doesn't try here, for reasons other posters have already brought up.

I ordered five shipit cds and gave out four at a LUG.

Several family members and acquaintances have tried it, without me asking them. My Ubuntu box is in my basement with instructions for logging in as a guest user (named sharper, to fit with my Stephen Harper obsession). Most didn't care for it, one way or the other, and none commented without me asking them.

BigDave708
August 25th, 2006, 01:15 AM

Pfft . . . I would only mention those if you were Scottish or Welsh! :mrgreen:

richbarna
August 25th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Doh I had to mention Ram](*,)

Ok I'm waiting .....

Are ewe suggesting that we woold be clambering to make sheep, sorry, cheap jokes ?

unbaaaalievable :biggrin:

BigDave708
August 25th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Are ewe suggesting that we woold be clambering to make sheep, sorry, cheap jokes ?

Rich, you're too damn funny!! :mrgreen:

Sorry, what was this thread about again? ;)

AndyCooll
August 25th, 2006, 01:32 AM
Well, I've given all my Breezy and Dapper CD's away.

Conversion might not be the right word, but I've happily moved the missus pc over to Ubuntu. And though I ain't "converted" others, I've got a couple of friends who are certainly interested in trying Linux.

Now ...just got to get my bro interested!;)

:cool:

richbarna
August 25th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Sorry, what was this thread about again? :wink:
Shearing... er no, Sharing distros with people so that they get the chance to try alternatives.

Sorry, just had to get one more in :)

I am currently pushing PClinux OS as I feel it is quite user friendly, but obviously I would like to see more people using Ubuntu. Although I support Ubuntu fully, we all know about the initial install and setup problems, so I think I will let people try PcLoS first and see how they get on. The 24/7 support is a bit of an issue for me as well, so hopefully I won't get too many calls for help just yet.

KiwiNZ
August 25th, 2006, 01:36 AM

Good sharing you knitted them together well and made a good yarn:p

KiwiNZ
August 25th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Kiwi sends himself an infraction for thread diversion.

Now back to the flock

TravisNewman
August 25th, 2006, 01:44 AM
I'm directly responsible for at least 5 people switching, indirectly who knows... I gave out stacks and stacks of cds to one of my friends who teaches a computer course at community college. He gave them all away, who knows who still uses it.

VirtuAlex
August 25th, 2006, 01:46 AM
i've converted one - just me myself
and, man, it was hard...
but i've said no to drugs!

BigDave708
August 25th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Kiwi sends himself an infraction for thread diversion.

Now back to the flock

Nothing like a taste of your own medicine is there!?!! ;)

KiwiNZ
August 25th, 2006, 02:20 AM
Nothing like a taste of your own medicine is there!?!! ;)

:p true, as long as its with a teaspoon of sugar

VirtuAlex
August 25th, 2006, 06:28 PM
By the way, linux is not just an OS. It IS sort of religion and it is perfectly normal. And Tux is our god, and Linus his profet. You have to believe in the freedom of software. If you think of free software only as $0.00 there is not much of a point to use linux. I do not know a single person who actually bought win off the shelf or paid full price for photoshop. Besides, you have invest your time in linux, which is money for most of us.

So converting people to linux does make sense, but of course only if you are willing to take care of these "convertibles" for quite a some time. Otherwise just use linux and people around you will take care of converting themselves simply because the time is coming and the judgement day is close.

Amen.

Mime
August 25th, 2006, 06:47 PM
I frequently mention Ubuntu as a good distro to try out for new users on another forum I help to moderate, so I have no idea how many people may have tried it because of that and then decided to stick with it later. Could be quite a few or none at all(although I would guess at least some have stayed put).

aysiu
August 25th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I do not know a single person who actually bought win off the shelf or paid full price for photoshop. I know several such people. They have principles and/or are afraid of the spyware that may come with filesharing programs.

VirtuAlex
August 25th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I know several such people. They have principles and/or are afraid of the spyware that may come with filesharing programs.
I assume such high morale people do exist as exceptions. For some reasons I never met one. But if you do not take to accout those spending corporate money, 99% have win preinstalled on their pc, and either borrow software from friends/work, or again use whatever comes with their pc/scanner/camera etc. My point is that price most of the time does not matter.

aysiu
August 25th, 2006, 07:30 PM
And your point stands. I just wanted to offer that such people do exist.

zubrug
August 25th, 2006, 07:46 PM
And then it was stained!

TravisNewman
August 25th, 2006, 08:24 PM
And then it was stained!
what was stained? How?