PDA

View Full Version : Mark S's interview on SLASHDOT

Slapdash
April 6th, 2005, 10:33 AM
http://interviews.slashdot.org/interviews/05/04/04/1859255.shtml?tid=90&tid=163&tid=160&tid=11

Inspiring.

lao_V
April 6th, 2005, 10:36 AM
http://interviews.slashdot.org/interviews/05/04/04/1859255.shtml?tid=90&tid=163&tid=160&tid=11

Inspiring.

In what sense?

Slapdash
April 6th, 2005, 10:47 AM
In what sense?

The fact that M.S has achieved so much, putting things back into the community and that this is also THE distro to be with because of that philosophy.

lao_V
April 6th, 2005, 10:51 AM
The fact that M.S has achieved so much, putting things back into the community and that this is also THE distro to be with because of that philosophy.

So what has it inspired you to do? :-)

Go to the space? Create another Ubuntu-based distro? :-)

poofyhairguy
April 6th, 2005, 11:04 AM
He is probably getting excited about the new release as well!

Slapdash
April 6th, 2005, 11:24 AM
LOL, man yeah. To start putting a LOT more effort into my "Linux Studies" and drive it home even more than I'm trying now.
I started writing a book on OSS and Linux. A bit of a different take than the usual ones. If i cant find a publisher later I'll donate it ;) . a VERY SLOW PROCCESS as i'm studying and have assignments to do all the time etc. but i'll get there. Also a first time writer and English is not my Home language. So QA might be a mission :D

So this gave me new energy almost.
I am really trying hard to learn Linux properly with very limited time. but i think i'm making great proggress against a LOT of ods. I am the ONLY Linux Desktop between 230+ or so Win XP / Win 2000 users. I'm now and then forced to do some work on my dbl. boot XP but i'm really doing well and i'm slowly getting the company interested in Linux for Servers and Desktop.

P.S Yeah, VERY excited about the new release.
Hoary has been stable and good to me so far ;)

orion_114
April 6th, 2005, 11:44 AM
i'm slowly getting the company interested in Linux for Servers and Desktop.

I am looking at getting my company to switch to Ubuntu, but we run some systems that are DOS based and some that are said not to run on any linux systems with windows emulators. What systems are you replacing ? How are you convinsing management to do the switch ?

Slapdash
April 6th, 2005, 11:54 AM
First of all its a Proxy server.
Its currently ( Unfortunatly ) decided to go the Red Hat route. I'm still trying to convince to Ubuntu. Support is the issue and I'm not cappable to be a Server Admin yet. So they want to pay for the support i guess.

there is a interest to slowly start switching Admin users's desktop ( Secretaries etc. ) to linux HOPEFULLY Ubuntu.

Basically all i did was to install Linux on my PC at work with a dual boot.
Everyone that says: I got so much Virus probs /Spam / Browser Hi-jack attempts etc. I say: I dont have it at all. then when they ask why i say its because i'm running linux. THen they are immediatly interested. 3 of our IT guys also said that they might try to convince the IT Admin manager to switch. He is biting. ( we'll see. )
Then I say well start with Firefox.
Also our server goes down now and then, gets filled up with crap and needs be a uge thing. With Linux i have heard of systems that has been running for 2 years before needed to be restarted manually to upgrade.

So i didnt do too much Pro- active work at my workplace but just throwing out an alternative have certainly got some attention. Thats also my reason for posting the XANDROS post. to find out more about alternatives coming from a Windows enviornment.

Dragonfly_X
April 6th, 2005, 11:59 AM

LOL! :)

lao_V
April 6th, 2005, 12:04 PM

I think we're all excited in some ways :-)

Slapdash
April 6th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Some of us are easilly exitible i guess ;)

orion_114
April 6th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks Slapdash. Hopefully I can start getting the Ubuntu bug to bite here too !!
Apreciate the help. :D

Slapdash
April 6th, 2005, 12:33 PM
No problem orion_114. Anytime. Just ask.

Hope you make a lot of proggress!

poofyhairguy
April 6th, 2005, 08:26 PM
LOL, man yeah. To start putting a LOT more effort into my "Linux Studies" and drive it home even more than I'm trying now.
I started writing a book on OSS and Linux. A bit of a different take than the usual ones. If i cant find a publisher later I'll donate it ;) . a VERY SLOW PROCCESS as i'm studying and have assignments to do all the time etc. but i'll get there. Also a first time writer and English is not my Home language. So QA might be a mission :D

Good luck with that. You should do it Wiki style, so us natural english speakers can do a little positive editing.

Sounds fun...

gylf
April 6th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Good luck with that. You should do it Wiki style, so us natural english speakers can do a little positive editing.

Sounds fun...

This is exactly what Lawrence Lessig is doing his book revision of "code v.2". Put it on a wiki and offer it to all, and in return people edit and improve it for publication
Check out the book here. (http://codebook.jot.com/WikiHome)

Slapdash
April 7th, 2005, 07:33 AM
Hmm quite interesting I'll look into that. Thanks.