PDA

View Full Version : If you are offered a Linux sysadmin job today will you be able to do it ?

linuxyogi
September 13th, 2019, 01:21 PM
Hi,

I am using Linux from 2007. During this period I have learned a lot but still if I am asked to
support a corporate environment I don't think I will be able to do it.

In the past I had once configured NFS file sharing but due to lack of practice I have forgot
all about it. To be able to perform in a corporate environment I cant afford to ask for help
in this forum. I must be able to configure systems in real time.

Same goes for Samba. I have never configured Samba.

Same for printer installations. The last Canon printer I had was not compatible with
Linux so I have no experience with printers under Linux.

The things that I can do without any help is the installation of the distro and configure
wired or wireless networking.

If you are offered a Linux sysadmin job today will you be able to do it ?

uRock
September 13th, 2019, 02:12 PM
I would have to wing it with documentation, but I'd give it my best shot.

SeijiSensei
September 13th, 2019, 02:37 PM
Probably yes for most things, but I don't know anything about applications like Landscape (https://landscape.canonical.com/) or integrating systems with Microsoft Active Directory.

poorguy
September 13th, 2019, 02:47 PM
I would imagine a corporate environment which needed a system administrator would be running a sever base setup with many user terminals.

Desktop Linux on a single user terminal is one thing although a slew of individual user terminals connected to a sever would be beyond my knowledge.

Tadaen_Sylvermane
September 14th, 2019, 03:00 PM
Entry level position, yes. Had one for awhile. But I was afraid of it. To scared to break something. It's hard to learn to work on something that has hundreds of thousands if not million of dollars running through it. Can't afford to mess up.

It can be a power trip to. Knowing you can wipe out something so valuable with no trouble. It's a serious position of trust.