PDA

View Full Version : What are your Likes and/or Dislikes with Ubuntu Forums

cruzer001
August 16th, 2019, 04:47 PM
Well lets see if this thread flies :)

I of course like the forums or I wouldn't be here just about daily.

My one beef is that the forum search engine is useless. The only way to accurately search this forum is with Google's Advance Search. This should be added to "Quick Links" IMO.

echotech2
August 16th, 2019, 08:47 PM

Dislikes: I echo cruzer001 search comment and I spend way too much time reading sections i know next to nothing about e.g. Network and wireless.

freemedia2018
August 16th, 2019, 08:54 PM
Culturally speaking, I think the forums are far too apolitical. I haven't expected any different in nearly a decade (I was also here around 2010 or something) but that's my primary dislike.

Plenty of nuisances and unpleasantness are avoided that way, but in their place is an enforced sterility. I doubt I'll ever be a fan of that. To each their own, I guess?

uRock
August 19th, 2019, 12:00 AM
Culturally speaking, I think the forums are far too apolitical.

Places where volunteers work to help those in need do tend to be this way. There's plenty enough politics on Facebook.

yetimon_64
August 19th, 2019, 12:23 AM
Places where volunteers work to help those in need do tend to be this way. There's plenty enough politics on Facebook.

+1, best to keep it over there, not here! :)

Another +1. This place is a pretty useful resource.

DuckHook
August 20th, 2019, 05:27 AM
…There's plenty enough politics on Facebook.

+1, best to keep it over there, not here!
=d>

In addition to UF, I also participate in a number of forums and comment boards dealing with politics and current affairs. When I want my fix of overt conflict and aggression, I head on over to those venues for my hit. And there are thousands of similar venues that I can visit with no more effort than the click of a mouse.

But I've always valued UF as a sanctuary and a respite from such conflict. Were it to turn into just another politicized, polarized, jingoistic mudfest, I would be out of here faster than you could say "RMS".

Rubi1200
August 20th, 2019, 02:52 PM
I'm very glad there are no politics allowed here. As mentioned, there are more than enough places for that.

I'm here for the people, the knowledge, and the well-behaved community.

TheFu
August 20th, 2019, 06:05 PM
With the forums?

Mods do an amazing job keeping things clean, sanitized, professional. I love that I don't have to see derogatory terms for commercial offers, even if I might agree. Keeping the spam in check, while allowing new forum members to still post is NOT easy.
No religion, no politics is good.

Things I don't like so much:

Search sorta sucks.
Wish stopping thread subscriptions with 1 click on any thread list page worked.
Wish code tags were on the simple-editor screen. Remove font and font-size controls. Does anyone actually use text justification?
Allow inline image posting for 200+ bean users. ;) Ok, perhaps that one isn't so friendly.

Complaints about Ubuntu ... ah, that's a different thread entirely. ;)

poorguy
August 20th, 2019, 07:59 PM
Can't say I've any complaints with Ubuntu Forums.

I've learned a lot about Linux from the Ubuntu Forums.

I scan the sections for the problem I'm having and find a solution.

When I can't then I post and I've always gotten the help I've needed.

There's a wealth of knowledge and links for how to on Ubuntu Forums.

again?
August 26th, 2019, 06:02 AM
Weeding out "Tug of War" posts to find actual help posts in the activity page. :p

DuckHook
August 26th, 2019, 06:07 AM
Weeding out "Tug of War" posts to find actual help posts in the activity page. :p

:mrgreen:

QIII
August 26th, 2019, 06:13 AM
The search functionality is utterly useless.

Skaperen
August 26th, 2019, 06:21 AM
what are you searching for?

QIII
August 26th, 2019, 06:26 AM
The usual: Fortune, a good hamburger, a quiet spot ...

again?
August 26th, 2019, 07:05 AM
The usual: Fortune, a good hamburger, a quiet spot ...

Artim
August 26th, 2019, 09:55 AM
Agreed, the search feature, even narrowed down to pretty specific terms and limited to one sub-forum, still fails completely.
But the community here is great!

kevdog
August 26th, 2019, 01:12 PM
I'm going to take a different approach on this thread. My dislike is that it seems to me the actual user and knowledge base has dropped dramatically. I'm comparing this to the time around 2007-2010. At this time, there seemed to be a bunch of users and when posting questions they would be answered very quickly. Now it seems questions might go for days and then when answered the answers are in not as much depth as they used to be. I'm not complaining but generally questions here from a broad concept are repeated over and over again -- this doesn't work, hardware not compatible, boot problems, etc, networking/wireless...Because the search in this forum is utterly useless, it indirectly invites these types of repeated questions. Many users here float in and out. They are with the forums for a few months/years and then seem to drift off b/c of other interests or priorities. It seems however far too many knowledgeable users have left. Possibly one explanation is the repeated questions that actually become very repetitive to answer. My perceptions may be way off since I don't currently visit the forums as often as I once did. I also don't have access to any data such as user number or number of questions posted or answered so I really can't point to any sort of "data" to actually support my opinion. Perhaps I'm way off.

linuxyogi
August 26th, 2019, 02:52 PM
I happen to be a member of a large number of forums.

Ubuntufroums is one of the most friendly forums (including the mods)

that I have ever visited.

1fallen
August 26th, 2019, 03:29 PM
knowledge base has dropped dramatically.
Where do you see this? Just Here? All forums have the same beef.;) (Magic Wands?)
Plus the fact that the majority of the Old Timers here, never see what is being posted for help requests.
I think we have some of the sharpest users here, that you'll find any where!

cruzer001
August 26th, 2019, 03:56 PM
We live in a ever changing world (forum). You either adapt, move on or get out of the way. It does no good to look back in our forum history and say back in the glory days look at what we had.

The glory days are gone and we have no control over what tomorrow will bring.

uRock
August 26th, 2019, 07:37 PM
We live in a ever changing world (forum). You either adapt, move on or get out of the way. It does no good to look back in our forum history and say back in the glory days look at what we had.

The glory days are gone and we have no control over what tomorrow will bring.

Too true. The glory days were nice. I've seen a ton of Facebook groups catered to Ubuntu and other distros. I didn't stay in them long as the constant "how to hack?" questions were too irritating.

Skaperen
August 26th, 2019, 07:42 PM
Too true. The glory days were nice. I've seen a ton of Facebook groups catered to Ubuntu and other distros. I didn't stay in them long as the constant "how to hack?" questions were too irritating.

they allow children in FB? i don't get on FB, so i don't know.

SeijiSensei
August 26th, 2019, 08:41 PM
My biggest complaint is not with the Forums themselves, but with rude posters who ask a question and then disappear. I never know whether they even read my replies, much less whether the suggestions I gave solved their problem. Sometimes it can take me ten to twenty minutes to compose a reply. Not getting even a thank-you is annoying.

For instance, https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2425125

or https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2424969

or https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2424598

1fallen
August 26th, 2019, 08:46 PM
My biggest complaint is not with the Forums themselves, but with rude posters who ask a question and then disappear. I never know whether they even read my replies, much less whether the suggestions I gave solved their problem. Sometimes it can take me ten to twenty minutes to compose a reply. Not getting even a thank-you is annoying.

+100 Thank You for this, I'm buying you a beverage of your choice....:guitar:
I have had such myself, this will sound bad but, I now keep names of those.;)

SeijiSensei
August 26th, 2019, 08:54 PM
Sadly, even the exhortation in my signature does not seem to work for some people.

uRock
August 27th, 2019, 01:35 AM
they allow children in FB? i don't get on FB, so i don't know.

FB doesn't check IDs, lol. Many of them were grown men who were thinking Linux made people hackers. The cyrbersecurity groups were even worse.

uRock
August 27th, 2019, 01:42 AM

That grinds my gears, as well.

QIII
August 27th, 2019, 02:49 AM
"Oh, never mind. I found the solution. You can close this thread."

Very, very considerate of you to NOT provide the solution you found so that the next person has to go through the pain of finding a solution. Selfish much?

uRock
August 27th, 2019, 02:56 AM

Very, very considerate of you to NOT provide the solution you found so that the next person has to go through the pain of finding a solution. Selfish much?

Yup.

VMC
September 3rd, 2019, 05:10 PM
Having to login every day or so. The only forum that I know of or use that does that. If I don't login for say a week, I defendantly have to login.

mastablasta
September 6th, 2019, 10:54 AM

well it does take less time to write that, than the solution.

VMC
September 6th, 2019, 03:52 PM
Maybe those that walk away with the solution, don't realize Google Spider sees all. Your solution will be spread far and wide. That's why I post my solutions.

ryansenn
September 13th, 2019, 08:24 AM
The forums are great, but it was confusing to register initially. I was looking for a sign up button but there is none, you need to create your SSO account somewhere else first.

walts48
September 13th, 2019, 03:04 PM
The Cafe.

I see too many posts that I'm not interested in in my list of New Posts after I log on.

Is there anyway to block those from appearing?

VMC
September 13th, 2019, 04:32 PM
The Cafe.

I see too many posts that I'm not interested in in my list of New Posts after I log on.

Is there anyway to block those from appearing?
Yes. I wish there is a way to see new posts with options of blocking uninterested topics.

mörgæs
September 13th, 2019, 04:36 PM
Wish code tags were on the simple-editor screen. Remove font and font-size controls. Does anyone actually use text justification

+1.

...and the solved option should be presented in an easily accessible way to original poster every time he revisits his thread.

It's a general problem that the user interface is static. Some years ago the colour scheme was changed but functionality is the same as ten years ago which is a shame. For the web sites I manage I try to change at least one item related to functionality per month.

Is it possible to send a request to Canonical about this?

uRock
September 21st, 2019, 08:11 PM
UF doesn't force capitalization at the beginning of new sentences. Some peoples' inability to use the shift key drives me nutz.

SeijiSensei
September 21st, 2019, 08:33 PM
Maybe those that walk away with the solution, don't realize Google Spider sees all. Your solution will be spread far and wide. That's why I post my solutions.

Actually I notice that if I use Google to answer a Ubuntu question other sites usually come up first like askubuntu.com. Ubuntuforums is often a few places further down the list. That's just a "feature" of Google's algorithm.

soulglo
September 27th, 2019, 03:37 AM
I'm a new user and think it's weird I have to make 10 posts to change my privacy and board settings.

Skaperen
September 27th, 2019, 03:45 AM

uh oh. the F- word. gonna have ban this place from the young ones.

Skaperen
September 27th, 2019, 03:48 AM
I'm a new user and think it's weird I have to make 10 posts to change my privacy and board settings.

i think it is used to minimize spammers. too bad it couldn't require 10 posts before posting.

uRock
September 27th, 2019, 04:03 AM
i think it is used to minimize spammers. too bad it couldn't require 10 posts before posting.

LMAO! You've got 1234 beans right meow.

mc4man
September 27th, 2019, 08:10 PM
My biggest complaint is not with the Forums themselves, but with rude posters who ask a question and then disappear. I never know whether they even read my replies, much less whether the suggestions I gave solved their problem. Sometimes it can take me ten to twenty minutes to compose a reply. Not getting even a thank-you is annoying

It does feel like there has been an increase in post & ghost.
Also aggravating is op's who strongly resist giving full story of what they did, even when obvious issue wasn't born of immaculate conception

uRock
September 27th, 2019, 08:14 PM
It does feel like there has been an increase in post & ghost.
Also aggravating is op's who strongly resist giving full story of what they did, even when obvious issue wasn't born of immaculate conception

I was tempted to reply to some of the threads I've answered with "You're welcome?" to illicit a response, but thought better of it.

1fallen
September 27th, 2019, 08:26 PM
I was tempted to reply to some of the threads I've answered with "You're welcome?" to illicit a response, but thought better of it.

+1 (Same here....Now I just keep names and remain silent with them.:o

cruzer001
September 28th, 2019, 04:54 PM
I wonder if its post and ghost or no email notification was received.