PDA

View Full Version : Comment for users of OpenShot Video Editor having Crash problems

irv
August 12th, 2019, 04:47 PM
From some reviews of OpenShot (Ver. 2.4.4) I see many users were having trouble with crashes. Let me tell you what I found out.
As of a week ago, I used this program on my Asus Laptop which only had 8 gig of memory. I had problems with crashes as did others. But since then I purchased a desktop with 16 gig of memory and have used OpenShot non-stop for a week and rendered some hour-long videos and a total of 52 videos in one week and not one crash. I am believing the problem with the crashes is a memory issue. Going fro 8 to 15 gig seemed to stop the crashes.
Just thought I would pass this finding on to anyone that is having crash problems with OpenShot.

mastablasta
August 13th, 2019, 12:54 PM
not optimised properly to use swap then. i wonder would it also cause issues if /swap partition was used.

also it would be good to report it here: https://www.openshot.org/issues/new/

Skaperen
September 10th, 2019, 04:15 AM
how much swap space did these 2 computers have?

you can run processes with more virtual memory than there is RAM but you need a lot of swap space. and it will be slow as a snail.

the kernel does kill off the big programs when virtual memory is used up. that might be what has been happening.

i do need to grow my 16 GB to 64 GB, i might have to settle for 32 GB.

uRock
September 12th, 2019, 12:33 AM
I only have 6GB of RAM on my production machine. I have had a few crashes in the past, but to be honest, System Monitor is always open and I've not seen it spike above 80% when not running VMs. I do have 10GB of swap on SSD, so maybe that is taking up the slack.

coffeecat
September 12th, 2019, 08:54 AM
@Skaperen and @uRock, in case you were wondering, your replies were made in a thread started by a copy-paste spammer, who posted an exact copy of irv's original post, title included. In order to keep a useful conversation in one place, I've moved your posts to irv's thread, banned the spammer account and moved the spam copy out of public view. Thanks for your interest.

uRock
September 12th, 2019, 02:06 PM
@Skaperen and @uRock, in case you were wondering, your replies were made in a thread started by a copy-paste spammer, who posted an exact copy of irv's original post, title included. In order to keep a useful conversation in one place, I've moved your posts to irv's thread, banned the spammer account and moved the spam copy out of public view. Thanks for your interest.

That dirty little.... Thanks Coffeecat!

Thanks IRV for being the original!