PDA

View Full Version : Live usb not bootable: “Couldn’t get size: 0x800000000000000e”

larcoscarsa
August 9th, 2019, 07:33 PM
[ubuntu]

Hi guys,

After having build my new pc, I wanted to install ubuntu 18.04 LTS ont it.
So, I made a live usb with the Unetbootin tool.
When I am trying to boot on it, the screen freezes and I am getting this error message:
“Couldn’t get size: 0x800000000000000e”

I do precise that my pc contains the last Nvidia RTX 2080 super (released in July) and the amd Ryzen 3700x.
I have read that this message could come out from some issues with the graphics drivers so I tried to connect directly my screen to the motherboard HDMI output put the motherboard didn't send any signal to the screen, most probably because my graphic card was connected.
I also read that ryzens 3000 could generate some issues on booting with certains linux distros but that shouldn't concern ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Here is my build in details:
Motherboard: Asus x570 prime pro
Processor: Ryzen 3700x
Graphics card: Nvidia gigabytes rtx 2080 super
Ram: 16Go
Hard drive: Nvme samsung evo plus 500 Go

I would like to point out that this not my first installation, and that I never got such issues.

What would be the solution: updating the bios, using an other distrbs etc...?

Autodave
August 12th, 2019, 07:57 PM
I did a little research on this. The only help that I could find seems to be that there is a problem with Secure Boot enabled in the BIOS. You may want to disable that and give it another try.

oldfred
August 12th, 2019, 09:04 PM
Have you updated UEFI? New UEFI for support of Linux just released by vendors.

AMD UEFI/BIOS update for Ryzen 3000 series
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ryzen-3000-BIOS-Update-Good
ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO WiFi - update supports Ubuntu 19.04
MSI has also put out BIOS updates last week as a "beta" though without explicitly acknowledging the Linux fix.

&wP*!)
August 14th, 2019, 05:33 AM
Similar problem (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2424000&highlight=couldn%27t+size) .
Update the UEFI to the latest from the vendor.
if SecureBoot is off, you can safely ignore the warning.