PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity, or else ...

jan-80
August 5th, 2019, 10:13 PM
When I started using Linux, I choose Ubuntu. Starting with 14.04, I liked Unity and got used to it.
The current version of Ubuntu uses Gnome 3 as it's DE. I don't like it, can't get used to it. And I foundout I'm not the only one...
Of course, there are alternatives.
1. I could run Unity on 18.04. Seems simple enough, but how many people do that? Anyone?
2. I ran Lubuntu on a few older machines, and that looked fine. Is it good enough for running a modern computer, or are there things lacking, because of the scope of being a light-weight distribution?
3. Kubuntu could be another alternative, because a lot of my friends have KDE as their DE. Granted, on other distro's, but... There I have the fear of having an ald-fashioned UI. Is that justified?

Yes, I know, the pinned article https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2415676 "What is the best ...", I read it, didn't really help.
I need some good subjective advice.

cruzer001
August 5th, 2019, 11:00 PM
Yes that is a nice link, DuckHook did it right.

What about Ubuntu Mate? Its gnome2 and has Unity interface.

CatKiller
August 5th, 2019, 11:20 PM
3. Kubuntu could be another alternative, because a lot of my friends have KDE as their DE. Granted, on other distro's, but... There I have the fear of having an ald-fashioned UI. Is that justified?

Not really, no.

I really wasn't comfortable with Gnome 3's constant removal of configuration options and it's pretty buggy - although many bugs have now been fixed by Canonical since they adopted it as their default desktop environment - and I didn't really like Unity that much, so I switched to KDE.

There are criticisms that you can level at KDE, but being old-fashioned really isn't one of them. It's very customisable, so you should be able to make it behave in a way that you're comfortable with.

When you're considering a switch of desktop environment, the best bet is generally to try out a bunch of them as Live images or VMs and have a play with them. Minimal effort, and you can just blow them away when you're finished with them. I personally like KDE, but Mate is a popular choice. I've got Cinnamon on a laptop, and that's fine, too.

crip720
August 5th, 2019, 11:37 PM
I like unity also. The light weight DEs are just as good for everything you want to do, but are just lighter to run on weaker hardware. The best DE for you is the one you like to use the most, like how it looks and don't have to search everywhere to find something. I will be sad if unity goes away, but will get used to another DE.

grahammechanical
August 6th, 2019, 07:09 AM
I have Unity installed on 18.04 and I prefer it. But for a few months now I have been using Gnome 3 shell on Weyland because I realized that all my knowledge of how to do things in Ubuntu would be old fashioned to new users of Ubuntu and therefore next to useless.

I have not found any member of the Ubuntu family to be lacking in anything. Besides, we can install and remove any application we need or don't need. There is a version of Ubuntu that does a minimal install and lacks most everything. This is so that we can have the OS and the applications that we want and none of the applications that we don't want.

Regards.

similar2
August 7th, 2019, 07:00 AM
KDE Plasma is the most advanced desktop available and Kubuntu 19.10 is amazingly good: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/

Artim
August 7th, 2019, 10:01 AM
I'm an Xfce fanboy, in part because you can make it look like any desktop you want! Move the panel with launchers to Vertical on the left, horizontal on top, bottom, or right in the middle of the screen. Make it bigger, smaller, add Compton for eye candy effects if you want, whatever. But it's lightweight and fast. Not nearly as resource-hungry as Gnome, which needs two zillion and twelve terrabytes all by itself (okay, a slight exaggeration), and a lot less than KDE. On a par with Mate, actually, though on Xubuntu it needs less RAM than Mate.

If you're looking for something in-between LXDE (or LXQT) and Gnome, Xfce is a good, versatile, fast choice.

Frogs Hair
August 9th, 2019, 10:29 PM
1. I could run Unity on 18.04. Seems simple enough, but how many people do that? Anyone? There are a group of community members who continue to use unity. Some Ubuntu developers and others volunteer their time to maintain the Unity desktop. Among this group are those hoping the create an official Unity flavor .

https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu-unity-experience-project-wiki/2553

sdsurfer
August 20th, 2019, 04:59 PM
I could run Unity on 18.04. Seems simple enough, but how many people do that? Anyone?

<Raises hand>

I have three machines, a Dell 3630 at work, a dual boot MSI, and a System 76 lappie, all on 18.04.2, I use Unity (I think it's 7) on all three. From time to time I poke around in Gnome, just doesn't seem as easy to work with but can see the attraction.

Autodave
August 20th, 2019, 05:19 PM
I used to run Ubuntu, but decided (especially on lesser machines) that Xubuntu was my new favorite. It is customizable, but I run it as it comes. I don't sit and stare at my desktop all day: I use it to get to the programs that I want.

ronsking
August 21st, 2019, 02:23 PM
I'd try Ubuntu Mate and use their Mutiny configuration.

TheFu
August 21st, 2019, 05:53 PM
It is common for people to confuse the GUI and the OS. The GUI is just another program, definitely NOT the OS. There are 15 popular DEs/WMs and 50+ options for people who aren't afraid to try something different.

Picking a GUI is very personal. Spend an hour on youtube looking at different DEs and Window Managers, WMs. See what jumps out at you. Almost all of them can be crazy customized so they don't look anything like what you would normally see.

That link showing many different DEs and WMs is good, but don't take those screen shots as representative for anything beyond a default installation for each. Change 3 things and each will have a completely different look. Just because something is old, that doesn't mean it doesn't have extremely modern capabilities. I've been running Kodi since before the name change. Swapping out a different GUI is as simple as picking from a list of 50-100 others, at least on Kodi.

For new users, I usually suggest Mate as their GUI. It has pretty programs to change settings, is easy to figure out like Win7 and isn't too bloated. There is lots of code debt because they use gnome2. It will need to be paid at some point.

Disclosure: I'm an fvwm user after about 8 yrs with openbox, LXDE before that, XFCE before that and whatever the faults were on all the non-server systems for the prior 15 yrs before that. A few fvwm thumbnail examples are here: http://fvwm.sourceforge.net/screenshots/desktops/index.php?num=50 My attempt at embedding them failed.

Opacity, monitoring tools, Window placement (smart or absolute), and multiple desktops have been part of it for over 20 yrs. Best of all, if you setup fvwm and keep your config files, you'll likely never need look for another GUI again or care what the default GUI might be on any Unix system. fvmw works on all Unix systems with X/Windows that follow the standards. I haven't tried it with wayland. Wayland doesn't fit my needs, yet.

mc4man
August 21st, 2019, 06:48 PM
1. I could run Unity on 18.04. Seems simple enough, but how many people do that? Anyone?

It won't be possible to predict a number as data needed would be hard or not possible to acquire. Though i could reliably predict no less than 10K, solely based on number of downloads from a semi-obscure ppa for ubuntu-unity-desktop and unity-control-center packages.

jan-80
January 5th, 2020, 03:24 PM
Hello again,

For starters, Happy New Year!

As I continued into my exploration of Ubuntu (and 'flavours') I found out - and some have pointed that out - that most UIs are very customisable. I liked the default Unity, so there was no reason to change its appearance, but if I didn't like the default Gnome, I could just change it. That was kind of a revelation to me. So, the idea for now is to stick with Gnome3, but change the looks so that it "looks more like a traditional desktop". Let's not beat around the bush, that expression means: "looks more like Windows".

I took this article as a lead: https://www.howtogeek.com/353819/how-to-make-ubuntu-look-more-like-windows/

Installing extensions and a menu manager made the UI look completely different. I even put the Windows 10 button to activate the Menu. :P Not because I like Windows so much, just to throw off some people looking at my system.

Finally, thanks everybody for pointing out alternatives. I will be keeping an eye out for Unity as alternative, and I have investigated Xubuntu and Lubuntu also. With the abundance of flavours and possibilities, it's difficult to choose. Maybe I should just toss a coin, pick one and stick to that...

Regards,
Jan-80

"May the source be with you"

Tadaen_Sylvermane
January 5th, 2020, 07:03 PM
I'd suggest just move on to Gnome or something else. I know Linux is about choice, and you are free to keep running Unity if you want. But as time progresses you will eventually be forced to switch unless it really regains support and or you can keep it running on your own. Kicking the can down the road is never a good idea. Ask the government how well that works out. Best to do a controlled move to the newer tech rather than being forced at gunpoint.