PDA

View Full Version : Varying window scale/resolution problem on Ubuntu 18.04 with gnome on 4k ultra hd

fhelbun
July 23rd, 2019, 11:14 PM
I am normally a Mint+cinnamon user but trying to fix my friend's out-of-the-box Dell + Ubuntu 18.04.2 and Gnome. The computer has a ultra 4k infinityedge touch screen.

He's new to Linux so I am determined not to let this problem ruin his "conversion", but I can't find anything online that documents the issue clearly.

Essentially, most of his programs are fine, but when he installed foobar2000 with snap, gnome loads it scaled really small (menus, fonts, etc, all tiny)... what's more, on some application windows the mouse cursor changes size!

The cursor issue also happened with signal (not a snap install; and native linux), and soulseek and acestream are also tiny (don't know how he installed them). Weirdly the vlc icon is absolutely tiny too. Everything else is fine except for the occasionally different sized cursor.

I strongly suspect this is all to do with gnome failing to handle the 4k touch screen; but don't know... has anyone encountered this before?

If I can't fix it for him I am going to put him on Linux Mint as I really don't know much about Ubuntu specifically even if they're both deb/similar/almost-same... but please convince me otherwise by offering an answer as to why this is happening, thanks! :)

Autodave
July 24th, 2019, 11:45 AM
Some info on the specs would probably be helpful.