PDA

View Full Version : right-click in a web browser

Skaperen
July 22nd, 2019, 08:01 PM
today, i found a web site (https://www.saywhatclub.org/) where right-click of every link was disabled. any idea why anyone would do that? it seems like a sick joke to me. the pop-up message is framed like firefox is handling it. so it looks like a capability of firefox (i don't know about chrome, i avoid it).

edit:

just discovered that, in firefox, holding shift while doing right-click makes it work, anyway (i don't know about chrome, i avoid it).

1fallen
July 22nd, 2019, 08:52 PM
most of the time one can overcome this with a setting:

about:config
now in the Search bar enter:

context
And change "dom.event.contextmenu.enabled" to "false"
I also avoid Chrome.
Sometimes it is to protect copying images or such that have copy right attached to it.

sevendogs1337
July 22nd, 2019, 10:20 PM
Someone thought they'd pull a Javascript trick and disable right click. Stupid because they are probably thinking if you can't view the code on the page, that makes it more secure...

Skaperen
July 23rd, 2019, 12:56 AM
i use right-click and "Open Link in New Tab" out of habit. so it will use 1fallen's config fix to make it permanent in all my browsers.

sevendogs1337
July 23rd, 2019, 03:08 AM
Sometimes it is to protect copying images or such that have copy right attached to it.

Not possible: everything on a web age gets pulled to the browser, including images. Nothing on the web is safe if the web dev who built a given site only put in place client side controls. They can make images viewed on a page low res or with a watermark, but everything on a page is pulled to the client and is in cache.

The graphic owner would more than likely have to watermark an image with some sort of copy write if they didn't want people using it.

yetimon_64
July 23rd, 2019, 03:26 PM
Someone thought they'd pull a Javascript trick and disable right click. Stupid because they are probably thinking if you can't view the code on the page, that makes it more secure...
Yep, funny thing with using noscript is I had full right click menus on the site and such until I enabled their scripting; only then did the blocking happen. "noscript" sure makes a mess of that idea for them by default :P.

sevendogs1337
July 23rd, 2019, 03:33 PM
Exactly - I visited OPs site and disabled Javascript via the dev panel in FF and viola, right click...client side only tricks are useless. I hack web sites for a living (pen tester) so there is pretty much nothing that can keep me from doing anything that is implemented client side.

1fallen
July 23rd, 2019, 04:25 PM
Not possible: everything on a web age gets pulled to the browser, including images. Nothing on the web is safe if the web dev who built a given site only put in place client side controls. They can make images viewed on a page low res or with a watermark, but everything on a page is pulled to the client and is in cache.

The graphic owner would more than likely have to watermark an image with some sort of copy write if they didn't want people using it.

I'm pretty sure you know what was meant, it's like locks, they only keep the honest folks out.;)

sevendogs1337
July 23rd, 2019, 04:28 PM
I get it and yes, you are correct. I just wanted to make sure it was understood that anything on a web server that gets served can be pulled down and saved.

Skaperen
July 23rd, 2019, 09:24 PM
and anything a blu-ray shows on a TV with the wired up panel can be recorded. every movie will show up online. the honest folks won't download it. OTOH, if the movie maker only markets it to Windows users...

kpatz
July 23rd, 2019, 10:01 PM
Disabling right click is just plain rude. Anyone who does that is liable to see javascript disabled in my browser for their site. Or I'll create a greasemonkey/tampermonkey script to restore the functionality. Or I'll just boycott the site.

Skaperen
July 24th, 2019, 01:06 AM
having the "feature" in an open source browser, at all, is what seems rude, to me.

sevendogs1337
July 24th, 2019, 01:17 AM
The browser is just rendering the Javascript as the web site designer intended. It's not a "feature" in the browser, this is how browsers work.

Skaperen
July 24th, 2019, 01:45 AM
that's why i put quotes around the word. OTOH, i would have made dom.event.contextmenu.enabled default to true, if i were the developer (but, i'm not).