PDA

View Full Version : Installation from USB Live Disk on a Chromebook

iggywrite
July 20th, 2019, 04:28 AM
Hi everyone,

Need some help. I've got an old Lenovo Thinkpad X131e with a very outdated version of ChromeOS installed on it (Chrome no longer supports the model). I've wanted to install Lubuntu, but I'm facing some difficulties;

Basically, the problem is I can't get the damn thing to boot from usb. I've tried setting the permissions via chrome terminal (crossystem dev_boot_usb=1) and restarting, but the system just bleeps and blinks, until I'm back at the developer screen from ChromeOS again.

It shouldn't be this hard to change an OS; but whatever, I'm frustrated and can't seem to figure this out, so I'm hoping someone here has some experience with this particular system, and can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

---jmj

TheFu
July 20th, 2019, 02:57 PM
I know nothing about Lenovo chromebooks, but all the other chromebooks I know require flashing firmware to support non-ChromeOS operating systems. What needs to happen is extremely specific to each specific chromebook model.
Some Chromebooks require physical changes to flash new firmware. I've had to remove a "write protect" screw to unlock the firmware for flashing, for example. On another chromebook, I had to scrape off a glued on metal tape that was shorting the write protect circuit.

iggywrite
July 20th, 2019, 07:38 PM
Wow...that sounds really complicated (in terms of simply wanting to change OS). I tried the firmware flashing, but got an error code regarding the write protect, so I'm hoping I don't have to remove it physically like you did. Do you know if there's a way to do this in software (I can probably do this fine the way you're suggesting, but I really don't want to if there's another way)?

TheFu
July 20th, 2019, 07:43 PM
Question already answered in post #2.