PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu success story today!

Tadaen_Sylvermane
July 18th, 2019, 09:52 PM
I recently built a machine out of older parts. i5 ivy bridge. Got the mobo off of ebay. Ran windows to play a specific game. The motherboard speaker port didn't work no matter what I tried, figured no big deal. Used the headphones port on the case no problem. Gave up the game due to conflicts with my beliefs. Put Ubuntu on the machine and the speaker port works fine. I can't figure why this is. I just know Ubuntu is making hardware work that Windows 10 couldn't.

yetimon_64
July 19th, 2019, 06:39 AM
... Put Ubuntu on the machine and the speaker port works fine. I can't figure why this is. I just know Ubuntu is making hardware work that Windows 10 couldn't.
Its been a very long time since I've been on Windows, and have never used Win10; but that is good to hear you've had better luck with an Ubuntu install. Seems it is often the case that Ubuntu lacks the hardware support so is quite nice to hear the opposite here.

Cheers, yeti. :-)

lammert-nijhof
July 19th, 2019, 11:50 PM
This year I happily installed Peppermint 9 on a 2003 Pentium 4 HT (3.0 GHz, 2 x 1 MB) with two 40 GB IDE disks in Raid-0 using BTRFS (LZO compressed). The system booted in 45 seconds, try to beat that on any system with Windows 10 or 7 without using a SSD.