PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] ubuntu 1804 upgrade messed up 3rd party boot manager

bdubawoop
July 18th, 2019, 08:37 PM
Thinkpad with win10 on sda2, ubuntu 18.04 on sda6, debian9 on sda8.

Yesterday I upgraded ubuntu from 16.04 to 18.04 & it looked ok.

today I find I can't boot debian9 with my long time boot manager (terabyte bootit baremetal). I just get a blinking cursor or the computer reboots!

Debian will boot from the ubuntu boot menu & both win10 & ubuntu boot from the terabyte boot manager.

I did send a query to terabyte since it boots from ubuntu but not the boot manager but thought I'd see if anyone on the forum has seen something similar.

oldfred
July 18th, 2019, 10:44 PM
Not familiar with that boot loader.
Not even sure if Boot-Repair will see it. Just run report, obviously do not run any repairs with Boot-Repair as that will install grub.

May be best to see details, use ppa version with your live installer (2nd option) or any working install, not older Boot-Repair ISO:
Please copy & paste link to the Boot-info summary report ( do not post report), the auto fix sometimes can create more issues.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair &
https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/

bdubawoop
July 19th, 2019, 02:48 AM
Thanks for the response but had trouble understanding it as not familiar with boot-repair program.

In any case I got it back to normal by booting to debian (thru the ubuntu boot menu) & then reinstalling grub in the debian partition per terabytes instructions on how to reinstall grub.

Not good that the upgrade process from 16 to 18 trashed my debian boot info & yet it didn't touch terabytes boot program, maybe a bug?

I see boot-repair can be installed in ubuntu, I'll probably do that & see what it looks like.

I'm now leery of upgrading on my desktop as I've got 2 flavors of Debian + Mint on it.

oldfred
July 19th, 2019, 04:37 AM
It sounds like your boot loader uses a Windows type boot loader to load more code in the PBR - partition boot sector.
I used to install the old grub legacy that way and use a grub partition to boot each install with its grub in the PBR of its partition.
But grub2 does not recommend installing it to a PBR as it is forced to use unreliable blocklists.

bdubawoop
July 21st, 2019, 01:30 AM
I decided to risk it & upgrade to 18.04 on my backup desktop.

It went smoothly & all the other systems on it (more than the thinkpad) booted ok.

I guess it just didn't like the way the thinkpad was set up, tho it is similar to the desktop (same boot manager, etc).

scriber
July 21st, 2019, 03:43 PM
Not good that the upgrade process from 16 to 18 trashed my debian boot info & yet it didn't touch terabytes boot program, maybe a bug?

I would say that's good that it didn't touch Boot-It, as it shouldn't. ( I've used it for years)

When I upgraded from 16.04 to 18 I backed up all my important data and then did a clean install.

I've never had too much success upgrading on top of another version.

bdubawoop
July 21st, 2019, 10:46 PM
I spoke a little too soon

it appears the ubuntu upgrade did affect the debians that are on the same drive. This time it was only a 2 minute delay about "a start job running...". A little googling shows it may be related to my 2 swap files (1 on ubuntu's drive, 1 on another hard drive). After the delay it boots normally though.

debian10-buster, which is on a separate drive boots normally.

oldfred
July 21st, 2019, 11:57 PM
I have two swap partitions, but with Ubuntu now say not to use swap when installing, so I get swap file.

One of my test installs reformatted swap and then I had issues booting my main working install which happened to mount that swap. I had commented out the other drive's swap.

Check if UUID of swap matches UUID in fstab.
cat /etc/fstab
lsblk -f

bdubawoop
July 22nd, 2019, 01:34 AM
thanks oldfred, i'll try it.

sounds similar to what i found googling.

bdubawoop
July 23rd, 2019, 02:19 AM
it was the wrong swap uuid's in fstab.

found by comparing them with blkid output.

ubuntu evidently changed the swap uuid's for any debian partitions on the same drive. I have debian10 on another drive & that wasn't touched.

still don't know why it made debian unbootable on my thinkpad until I re-installed grub2, diff hardware tho--and only 1 hard drive.

reinstalling grub on the desktop had no effect.