PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Just installed ubuntu-19.04-desktop-amd64 and no text is visible

gohokies95
July 13th, 2019, 04:19 PM
I just installed ubuntu-19.04-desktop-amd64.iso. Clean HD, brand new install. After boot, I squeaked by the login screen and get windows with no text. In the screenshot, the purple blob in the top left is a gnome-terminal after ls -la<enter>. Usually the middle white rectangle is a welcome to ubuntu? How do I fix?

gohokies95
July 13th, 2019, 05:51 PM
Interesting symptom: Back on login screen there is usable input/output, and when I click on the power icon in the top right, I get the Volume control. I can log in on pw screen. but the previous screenshot still prevails

oldfred
July 13th, 2019, 06:14 PM
Strange graphic?

What brand/model system?
What video card/chip do you have?
If you can get to terminal:
lspci | grep VGA

Have you updated UEFI from vendor.

Is Ubuntu fully updated?
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

gohokies95
July 16th, 2019, 12:08 PM
nothing was updated. It is a stock AMD 64 HP Pavilion. Updated or not, these are initial screens out of box from a fresh download (of yes experimental ver) ubuntu-19.04-desktop-amd64.iso. I am confused, how would UEFI effect a working version of the OS. Would't a bad UEFI mean that it wouldn't boot at all?

oldfred
July 16th, 2019, 03:16 PM
UEFI interacts with drivers.
Almost all systems need UEFI updates, anyway, for mitigation of Meltdown and Spectre CPU vulnerabilities from cpu speculative execution and caching.
Both Windows & Linux kernel have been updated, and will probably need future updates as new variants seem to be found.