PDA

View Full Version : themes influenced by vista, mac osx

shanepardue
August 23rd, 2006, 04:46 PM
why is it that every theme seems to be trying to mimick either vista or os x..i don't know about you, but i came to linux to escape those operating systems.

i'm not saying they aren't bad looks, but it only reminds me of those operating systems and the negative connotations that come with that.

anyone else bothered by this or is it just me?

(i usually don't vent on forums, but i guess there's a first for everything.)

wishyjr
August 23rd, 2006, 04:51 PM
well.. i use a vista-esk window theme because i like it. I also use a MacOSX icon theme because i like it.

..thats about it.

Brunellus
August 23rd, 2006, 04:52 PM
seconded. But then I'm partly guilty. My "heavy" ubuntu box at home uses xgl/compiz.

My "light" ubuntu box uses fluxbox, though, which is a nice relief.

shanepardue
August 23rd, 2006, 04:53 PM
well.. i use a vista-esk window theme because i like it. I also use a MacOSX icon theme because i like it.

..thats about it.
there's nothing wrong with that. i don't mean to attack or anything, ha. i like the look of a mac also..just not on my linux box.

fuscia
August 23rd, 2006, 05:57 PM
i can understand having themes that imitate osx and vista. i don't understand the need for fifty of them that all look alike.

shanepardue
August 23rd, 2006, 05:58 PM
HA now that's definitely the truth!!

bonzodog
August 23rd, 2006, 09:02 PM
Don't think of linux having copied windows or mac, it's actually the other way around.
MS got their theming ideas for Win Xp done by the people behind Windowblinds. The people behind windowblinds started out theming Linux desktops.
So, in a long sort of way, windows Xp was influenced by the eye candy available in linux.
Some Linux themes have been influenced by mac themes, and vice versa - it seems that the eye candy explosion for OSX took place at roughly the same time as the really good KDE eye candy was coming round.

shanepardue
August 23rd, 2006, 09:47 PM
Don't think of linux having copied windows or mac, it's actually the other way around.

that may be true, but all i know is when i browse cgwd-themes and others, the majority of them are trying so hard to look like os x or windows. i feel like a creative distro such as ubuntu should have a little more options other than vista ripoffs.

Brunellus
August 23rd, 2006, 09:54 PM
other options do exist. So long as they do, we're still OK.

jordilin
August 23rd, 2006, 09:57 PM
I love the MAC os look and feel and having the possibility to have it in ubuntu is great. It shows off how great ubuntu is in the case of adaptability and configurability. That's it in my case :D

shanepardue
August 23rd, 2006, 09:57 PM
other options do exist. So long as they do, we're still OK.

yeah, there are other options. HOORAH FOR OPTIONS!

i'm tired and it's the end of the workday. sorry for that outburst.

Skia_42
August 24th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Who cares whether Apple or Linux made the first apple'esk theme? If it is a nice, pleasant theme that is easy on the eyes then it doesn't matter what company started it.

Polygon
August 24th, 2006, 01:22 AM
its a good thing, because maybe some people (like me) like the look of mac os x or maybe even vista. choice is good.