PDA

View Full Version : what i would like to see added to firefox

Skaperen
July 5th, 2019, 03:49 AM
i'm posting in The Cafe because i know it will never happen. firefox "scrolls" by big jump. i just smooths the motion to make it look nice. what i would like is a way to get it to scroll one single pixel at a time so i can get it positioned better for various reasons such reading a specific paragraph a few times.

edit:

Cntl+Up/Ctrl+Down jump in really huge amount (whole page ?) while Alt+Up/Alt+Down do nothing. the latter might be a nice way to have one pixel scrolling work.

mastablasta
July 5th, 2019, 07:35 AM
i believe you can set the mouse scroll to be one line. it's not one pixel. i dont' know why you would need one pixel. it must be something very specific.

Skaperen
July 5th, 2019, 08:13 PM
one pixel allows very fine tweaking. it might be needed to get a combination of text and enough of an image into view.

fragglebliss
July 8th, 2019, 01:23 AM
What a brilliant idea! I've often tried scrolling to a specific part of a page and having the scroll function jump either too far up or too far down. It can be frustrating.

walts48
July 8th, 2019, 02:49 PM
So who is filing the bug report?

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/ (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/home)

mastablasta
July 9th, 2019, 10:12 AM
one pixel allows very fine tweaking. it might be needed to get a combination of text and enough of an image into view.

but, why?

also there is the zoom function for that.

still with responsive theme properly done this is a none issue. unless in some very specific situation.

fragglebliss
July 10th, 2019, 12:00 PM
How on Earth does anyone conclude that the zoom function can assist? It has nothing to do with what the original idea was.

mastablasta
July 10th, 2019, 01:30 PM
if you zoom out, you can get a combination of text and enough of an image into view.

uRock
July 10th, 2019, 08:31 PM
if you zoom out, you can get a combination of text and enough of an image into view.

There's that and then there's also grabbing the slider on the right, which gives the ability to get exactly wherever wanted.

yetimon_64
July 10th, 2019, 11:17 PM

There's that and then there's also grabbing the slider on the right, which gives the ability to get exactly wherever wanted.

A combination of these two ideas is how I've always done fine viewing adjustments on web pages.

IMO one pixel scrolling seems a bit unnecessary, however if it were set to a key combination only as the OP suggests it may be useful for some people, though I can't see it ever being needed or used here.

Skaperen
July 11th, 2019, 01:31 AM
> > if you zoom out, you can get a combination of text and enough of an image into view.

about half as often i'm wanting to exclude something so i can do a full screenshot. and much of the other times i'm zooming in to make things as large as possible.

Skaperen
July 11th, 2019, 01:34 AM
> There's that and then there's also grabbing the slider on the right, which gives the ability to get exactly wherever wanted.

i'm getting smaller jumps, but still getting jumps, from the side slider.

Skaperen
July 11th, 2019, 03:44 AM
some web sites have removed the side scrollbar even though the page is quite long. or maybe i did it when i zoomed in to not see the ads on the right. the mouse roller and the up/down keys do scrolling ... with jumps. i don't know how much control javascript has on scrolling but i was able to create this (http://ipal.net/vance/) years ago.

fragglebliss
July 12th, 2019, 12:43 AM

It's not exactly one-pixel precision. And try that with a laptop trackpad and see how precise you get. Your face goes red with frustration, your body begins to shake and the precision problem just gets worse from that point on.

some web sites have removed the side scrollbar even though the page is quite long. <snip>

Hmmm, never encountered this before. Curious.

Getting back to the original idea from the OP, I still believe it's a brilliant feature request. I could certainly make use of it and having it as a key combination would give the power to those that would find it useful but those that have no reason for it would never have to acknowledge the key combination. I'd also suggest that those who don't understand the logic behind the idea are those that would probably just never use such a feature and would be part of the latter group I mentioned.

Skaperen
July 12th, 2019, 03:36 AM
we are the one-pixelers :)

walts48
July 12th, 2019, 02:43 PM
we are the one-pixelers :)

So has anyone filed that Enhancement bug report @ https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/home ?

Maybe you can find one already filed in this list https://mzl.la/2Gnjfjh

uRock
July 12th, 2019, 02:53 PM
It's not exactly one-pixel precision. And try that with a laptop trackpad and see how precise you get. Your face goes red with frustration, your body begins to shake and the precision problem just gets worse from that point on.

I plug a mouse into every laptop I use. I hate trackpads. That said, I used to use a Netbook for browsing. I could only see half of a Facebook post at a time.

Skaperen
July 14th, 2019, 07:19 AM
my laptop has a flat mousepad (no trackball) but i turn it off because with it on my hands cause lots of text to be "randomly" highlighted all the time. my wireless mouse has 3 buttons (nice on Linux) and a roller.